Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Dobony Michael Dobony is offline

Default Thin drywall tape recommendation?

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 13:00:52 -0500, blueman wrote:

Looking for thinnest possible drywall tape for repairing cracks in old
plaster walls...

I would like to keep the feathering as narrow as possible since I am
just doing repairs -- and I find the standard paper and mesh tapes to
require a fair bit of build-up to cover the tape and then feather it.

So what do you all recommend based on experience?

Also which do you find allows for thinner/narrower coverage and
feathering? paper or fiberglass mesh?

I have used some perforated,self-adhesive paper tape from Lowes, but with
mixed results. Best to just put on a thin layer of normal weight (or
special taping) mud and end with a 12" trowel on each side of the repair
and don't go crazy building it up. If you are careful you will only need 2
thin coats on top of the tape.