Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile Question

I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't know
much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't know
much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate

No you will have to put down cement board or other type of tile backer ,
usually 1/2 inch...Your contractor will tell you what he prefers...You MAY
have to rip out the old floor down to the subfloor depending on your
situation...ie door heights ect...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote

|I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't know
| much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
| know a little bit about what to ask.
|
| This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
| linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?
|
| Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?
|
| Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?
|
| Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

I'm also in the process of redoing a small bathroom floor. Had to rip up two
layers of vinyl tile, one layer of linoleum, plywood backing and tar paper
to get down to the original bare floor. It wasn't that hard to do, using a
wide chisel, a wrecking bar and a few other simple tools. Took me about an
hour to do about 25' sq.

Our plan is to put down a new subfloor, then a backer for the tile. The tile
has to be laid on this special cementitious board. The tile installer will
provide this.

As to ceramic tile for the floor there are many brands, I know nothing about
them because I haven't got that far but I would avoid any that's very
slippery, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 8:44*pm, Kate wrote:
I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. *I don't know
much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. *Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate

The can be laid over the linoleum if backer board is installed over
the linoleum

That is not a method I would recommend.

It can be a hard job depending on the current floor situation.

My kitchen had two layers of linoleum with very thin plywood between
them.
The plywood was "flooring nailed" through the first layer of linoleum
into the T&G subfloor.

The first layer was glued to the subfloor and the second layer was
glued to the plywood.

It was a LOT of work.

If oyu have only one layer and its glued down, you can scrape it
off...hard work but doable.

I had ~170 sq ft and it took MANY HOURS ....I worked on it in 2 to 3
hour "bites". But mine was two layers & nailed ( I pulled more than
1000 flooring nails)

I went down to the subfloor to minimize room to room flooring height
mismatches.

What's your time worth? how strong are oyu?
get a bid to remove, try removing bit of the floor .....if it's too
hard, have the guy it for you.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't
know much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would
like to know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate

No you will have to put down cement board or other type of tile backer ,
usually 1/2 inch...Your contractor will tell you what he prefers...You
MAY have to rip out the old floor down to the subfloor depending on your
situation...ie door heights ect...HTH...

It does help. Thanks so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
"Kate" wrote

|I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't know
| much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
| know a little bit about what to ask.
|
| This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
| linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?
|
| Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?
|
| Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?
|
| Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

I'm also in the process of redoing a small bathroom floor. Had to rip up two
layers of vinyl tile, one layer of linoleum, plywood backing and tar paper
to get down to the original bare floor. It wasn't that hard to do, using a
wide chisel, a wrecking bar and a few other simple tools. Took me about an
hour to do about 25' sq.

Our plan is to put down a new subfloor, then a backer for the tile. The tile
has to be laid on this special cementitious board. The tile installer will
provide this.

As to ceramic tile for the floor there are many brands, I know nothing about
them because I haven't got that far but I would avoid any that's very
slippery, of course.

My small bathroom measures 8' x 4'. It is long, and narrow.

The previous homeowners tiled the master bath and it looks great.
The tile squares measure 12" x 12". From what I am reading, I am
finding out that the smaller the room, the smaller the tiles should be,
but quite frankly, I love the look of the larger tiles.

Thanks for this information.

Much appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:44 pm, Kate wrote:
[...]

Wow, you had a huge project there. Did you lay your own tile, and were
you pleased with the results?

This one bathroom only measures 8' x 4'. I have plenty of time, and am
not afraid of hard work, but I am not so sure about the strength part.

I do plan to get a bid, and am hoping that with such a small room the
cost won't be too bad.

My home is eleven years old, and there has only been one layer of
linoleum put on this bathroom floor.

I sure appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks Bob.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 28, 11:01*pm, Kate wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:44 pm, Kate wrote:
[...]

I'm not a tile guy, not really much of a finish guy.
Prefer plumbing, electrical, structural.

The final design of the kitchen has not bee set.
We've been using the douglas fir T&G as an interim floor.
We've even toyed with idea do sanding, finishing and using it as the
kitchen floor .
But I'm not a huge fan of wood floor in the kitchen.

Your bathroom is small enough for you to take on.
That's only 32 tiles if you go 12 x 12.
Throw a couple pieces down (out of the way if possible) so you can
live with them for a few days.

32 sq ft of single layer linoleum is a LOT less work than 170 sq ft of
two layers......I'd say, go for it.

It's only 3 pieces of backer as well.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

The previous homeowners tiled the master bath and it looks great.
The tile squares measure 12" x 12". From what I am reading, I am finding
out that the smaller the room, the smaller the tiles should be, but quite
frankly, I love the look of the larger tiles.

Thanks for this information.

Most decoraters would disagree. The larger tiles (up to 12x12) make a
small room look bigger.

Go with what you like you have to live with it.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't know
much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate

It would be worth your time to get a book about installing tile, either
purchased or from library. It is a handicap to deal with contractors
without a good understanding of the project. Some technical knowledge
is a must, IMO, whatever the project and will likely save you money and
grief. Then you deal as a knowledgeable customer rather than one who is
easily fooled. Issues like subfloor flex, added height of the floor,
removing fixtures are important to plan for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't know
much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate

I removed all previous flooring materials down to the original shiplap (1 x
3) boards.
Re-enforced the shiplap with floor screws and then mortared and screwed 1/4
inch wonderboard over that.
I then used a schluter ditra membrane and tiled over that with ceramic
tiles.
See more info here for schluter, good stuff.

http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

I recommend removing all previous flooring to ensure a good solid base.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't know
much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate

YES, NO, ABSOLUTELY, MAYBE, IT DEPENDS, AND I DON'T KNOW.

Tile isn't rocket surgery, but there are a lot of nuances that one learns as
one goes along, and does more jobs. If this is a casual bathroom, and you
make errors, and it won't look terrible to company, do it. If it is a bath
that you want to look good, have this first job done.

You can read how to's on tile that will give you a good idea on how it's
done. But past that, the fine points on removing substrate, what and what
not to tile over, what type of subfloor to use, getting it to stick right,
getting the grout color right and the grout in there right, getting it
level, getting the grout lines uniform, making good cuts, and many other
things are things you learn by doing, and that's what you pay a pro for.
Remember this: you are going to look at it for a long time, and visitors
will too. You want it done right, either by you or a craftsman.

I have found that it was cheaper and I got a much better job by just having
small jobs like that done by someone else. But my last remodel involved a
lot of cutout fine work, and the job I got was absolutely dazzling, and I
could not have done that good a job. The extra money was well spent. If
you can find a good workman, it should be reasonable. Ask around friends
and family to find a "good workman." Sometimes that is the hardest part.

I am going to do a paver walkway and pattern outside, and the main thing on
that is preparation. I have a tile saw and the other tools. I can save a
lot by doing it myself. But if I am a little out of being perfect, it won't
be as obvious as in a small bath area.

Good luck.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

DD_BobK wrote:
On Jan 28, 11:01 pm, Kate wrote:
DD_BobK wrote:
On Jan 28, 8:44 pm, Kate wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a good plan for me Bob. Good luck on your project as well.
Many thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Iowna Uass wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

I bookmarked this page. Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, and will probably just have it all done by a professional.
This small room will have an oriental runner rug in it, so it won't all
show, even if there is a flaw, unless it is on the outside of the floor.

Life isn't perfect, but I tend to want to be a perfectionist.

Thank you so much for your feedback.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 3:39*pm, Kate wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you so much for your feedback.- Hide quoted text -

What a pleasure to have a polite person on the group who appreciates
the advice she/he gets. That pretty much applies to everyone who
posts here, much nicer than a couple of other groups where I lurk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Some ideas for you. You can do dazzle with simple things, and a little more
money.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

That is impressive. I never thought about doing something a little
different.

Thanks for this info.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some ideas for you. You can do dazzle with simple things, and a little more
money.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Some ideas for you. You can do dazzle with simple things, and a little
more money.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

That is impressive. I never thought about doing something a little
different.

Thanks for this info.

Just remember .......... you are going to have to look at it for a long
time...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

Iowna Uass wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Every resource I've read specified a minimum of 1 1/4" of wood under the
backerboard. 3/4" of shiplap doesn't meet that spec, so cracking over time might
not be unexpected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
Steve B wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
[...]

Thus, an excellent place to learn.

Local tile shops often give excellent advise, and often offer simple classes on
the basics you would need for the job.

Life isn't perfect, but I tend to want to be a perfectionist.

That's why I do such jobs myself. I'm not fast, but I do it right. Everytime I
see the "pro" jobs, I see the spots where they skimped for speed.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Tile question [email protected][_2_] Home Repair 1 February 23rd 09 03:56 AM
Another tile question David Nebenzahl Home Repair 0 February 22nd 09 08:23 AM
Tile question Hustlin' Hank Home Repair 1 February 21st 09 12:38 PM
Tile question jeffc Home Repair 1 October 17th 06 05:37 AM
Another Tile Question Dorot29701 Home Repair 7 August 1st 03 01:30 AM