Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Tile Question

On Jan 28, 8:44*pm, Kate wrote:
I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. *I don't know
much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. *Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate

The can be laid over the linoleum if backer board is installed over
the linoleum

That is not a method I would recommend.

It can be a hard job depending on the current floor situation.

My kitchen had two layers of linoleum with very thin plywood between
them.
The plywood was "flooring nailed" through the first layer of linoleum
into the T&G subfloor.

The first layer was glued to the subfloor and the second layer was
glued to the plywood.

It was a LOT of work.

If oyu have only one layer and its glued down, you can scrape it
off...hard work but doable.

I had ~170 sq ft and it took MANY HOURS ....I worked on it in 2 to 3
hour "bites". But mine was two layers & nailed ( I pulled more than
1000 flooring nails)

I went down to the subfloor to minimize room to room flooring height
mismatches.

What's your time worth? how strong are oyu?
get a bid to remove, try removing bit of the floor .....if it's too
hard, have the guy it for you.

cheers
Bob