Dorot29701

Default Another Tile Question

I have both counter tops and wall covered with ceramic tile. When I get new
cabinets I would have liked to keep the wall tile but have been told it's
probably not possible. I can save a lot of money if I remove the tile
myself....before the tile was put up, the walls were just drywall covered in
glossy finish latex paint.

Does anyone know what I can expect when I take off the tile - how badly messed
up will the wall be? How can I clean it off so I can have new tile put up when
they are finished with the cabinets?

Why do you think - if the present cabinets come down 30 inches from the ceiling
- and the new ones come down 30 inches from the ceiling - they say they can't
save the tile? Just curious.

Thanks.

Dorothy
Colbyt

"Dorot29701" wrote in message
[...]

I am not a tile pro. I have done this a time or three. When you strip off
the old tile a portion of the paper on the drywall will come with it or
maybe just the paint. If you are going back with tile in the exact same
area, minimal or no wall repair will be required.

As to why. Without seeing the job site I can only guess because it makes
their install easier. There could be some leveling issues that dictate
removing the tile but from here I can't see that. Wall tile is cheap. If
you remove it yourself, wear heavy gloves, eye protection and use the
longest handled tool you have. The shards can be very sharp when they fly
off the wall. I have a scar to prove it.

Jack Lime

Dorot29701 wrote:
I have both counter tops and wall covered with ceramic tile. When I get new
cabinets I would have liked to keep the wall tile but have been told it's
probably not possible.

We've done it. It's a PIA but can be done with careful measuring and
cutting using a small grinder w/ dry cutting diamond disc.

Detector

"Jack Lime" wrote in message
Dorot29701 wrote:
I have both counter tops and wall covered with ceramic tile. When I get

new
cabinets I would have liked to keep the wall tile but have been told

it's
probably not possible.

We've done it. It's a PIA but can be done with careful measuring and
cutting using a small grinder w/ dry cutting diamond disc.

or maybe the new cabinets will have some "scribing ears" so you can just cut
3/8" off the bottom and sides.

or maybe the bottoms of the cabinets will have to be shimmed the 3/8" to be
plumb.

Detector

"Dorot29701" wrote in message

if the present cabinets come down 30 inches from the ceiling
- and the new ones come down 30 inches from the ceiling

30" replaced by 30"
what is the problem?

sounds like a no brainer to me.

is there crown molding on top of the new cabinets?
if so ...........raise the cabinets 1/8" or 1/4" and silicone or grout after
cabinets are installed.

- they say they can't
save the tile?

I say
their full of sh*t

they must be looking for an extra!

tilt batten question tom patton UK diy 0 April 2nd 04 08:53 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
What tile should I use on shower surround? Jeff Smith Home Repair 5 June 27th 03 11:12 AM