Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_5_] Kate[_5_] is offline

Default Tile Question

Steve B wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message
I am planning to have tile installed in a small bathroom. I don't know
much about this, but I am going to hire a professional and would like to
know a little bit about what to ask.

This floor now has linoleum on it. Can the tile be laid over the
linoleum, or will it have to be ripped out?

Can I rip it out myself, or is it a hard job?

Is there a certain brand of tile I should stay away from?

Any other tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Kate

YES, NO, ABSOLUTELY, MAYBE, IT DEPENDS, AND I DON'T KNOW.

Tile isn't rocket surgery, but there are a lot of nuances that one learns as
one goes along, and does more jobs. If this is a casual bathroom, and you
make errors, and it won't look terrible to company, do it. If it is a bath
that you want to look good, have this first job done.

You can read how to's on tile that will give you a good idea on how it's
done. But past that, the fine points on removing substrate, what and what
not to tile over, what type of subfloor to use, getting it to stick right,
getting the grout color right and the grout in there right, getting it
level, getting the grout lines uniform, making good cuts, and many other
things are things you learn by doing, and that's what you pay a pro for.
Remember this: you are going to look at it for a long time, and visitors
will too. You want it done right, either by you or a craftsman.

I have found that it was cheaper and I got a much better job by just having
small jobs like that done by someone else. But my last remodel involved a
lot of cutout fine work, and the job I got was absolutely dazzling, and I
could not have done that good a job. The extra money was well spent. If
you can find a good workman, it should be reasonable. Ask around friends
and family to find a "good workman." Sometimes that is the hardest part.

I am going to do a paver walkway and pattern outside, and the main thing on
that is preparation. I have a tile saw and the other tools. I can save a
lot by doing it myself. But if I am a little out of being perfect, it won't
be as obvious as in a small bath area.

Good luck.

Steve

I agree, and will probably just have it all done by a professional.
This small room will have an oriental runner rug in it, so it won't all
show, even if there is a flaw, unless it is on the outside of the floor.

Life isn't perfect, but I tend to want to be a perfectionist.

Thank you so much for your feedback.