Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit Decoding?

I'm trying to determine which circuits are controlled by
which circuit breakers on a sub-division home built in
Southern California in 1980. I want to minimize the process
of shutting off one circuit at a time and then walking
around checking lights and wall outlets. I'm hoping some
experienced house construction electricians can make my task
easier using the information provided below.

There are two black toggles, mechanically linked, with the
label 125 amps.

There are two black toggles, independent of each other, with
the labels 50 amps.

There are two green toggles, independent of each other, with
the labels 30 amps.

There is a single black toggle with the label 20 amps.

There are four red toggles, independent of each other, with
the labels 20 amps.

There is a single black toggle with the label 15 amps.

There are four blue toggles, independent of each other, with
the labels 15 amps.

There are cryptic handwritten letters (perhaps remnants of
faded words) like R, V, Fau, and DG next to some of the
circuit breakers.

Ideas?

--
----------
CWLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

I'm trying to determine which circuits are controlled by which circuit
breakers on a sub-division home built in Southern California in 1980. I
want to minimize the process of shutting off one circuit at a time and
then walking around checking lights and wall outlets. I'm hoping some
experienced house construction electricians can make my task easier
using the information provided below.

There are two black toggles, mechanically linked, with the label 125 amps.

220 probably main breaker

There are two black toggles, independent of each other, with the labels
50 amps.

electric range
There are two green toggles, independent of each other, with the labels
30 amps.

dryer or water heater or air cond
There is a single black toggle with the label 20 amps.

outlets
There are four red toggles, independent of each other, with the labels
20 amps.

maybe kitchen
There is a single black toggle with the label 15 amps.

lighting
There are four blue toggles, independent of each other, with the labels
15 amps.

lighting
There are cryptic handwritten letters (perhaps remnants of faded words)
like R, V, Fau, and DG next to some of the circuit breakers.

Ideas?

get a tracker, plug into outlet, take other half and find
breaker with tone. no need to turn off anything. (its a
radio signal that travels from the outlet, back to the
breaker) about $40

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:
[...]

In the half hour since you posted your message, you could already have
figured out pretty much all of the branch routing using nothing more than a
radio (or a lamp) and a flashlight.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

[...]

From your post the only thing I can tell is that the panel was made by
Zinsco or Bryant. The 2-50 amp breakers should be tied together so they trip
simultaneously. They probably feed an electric range. The 2-30 amp breakers
should also be tied together. They probably feed an electric dryer. While
there are tools designed to make this process easy, I personally have never
been successful using one, so I just run around with a test light or radio
and flip breakers

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 7:14�am, "RBM" wrote:
"CWLee" wrote in message

m...

[...]

From your post the only thing I can tell is that the panel was made by
Zinsco or Bryant. The 2-50 amp breakers should be tied together so they trip
simultaneously. They probably feed an electric range. The 2-30 amp breakers
should also be tied together. They probably feed an electric dryer. While
there are tools designed to make this process easy, I personally have never
been successful using one, so I just run around with a test light or radio
and flip breakers

radio is best.

do this when wife or GF isnt home to minimze complaints.

a buddy of mine added labels to every switch and outlet with a breaker
number.

myself I would of written the number on the back side of the covers,
he put the labels on the outside, i think it looks tacky.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The 50 amp breakers, probably hot tub, or electric range. 30
is often water heater, or dryer. Either could be the outdoor
unit for the AC.

As to the others, the usual way to trace sockets is either
with a tracer (Harbor Freight, $20 or so). Or, you can plug
in a radio and turn it up loud. Go see which breaker turns
off the radio. As to the lights, having a buddy and a couple
walkie talkies is very helpful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"CWLee" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee wrote:

[...]

Ok, let me get this straight.

You're too lazy to hook up a light bulb and throw the switch.

You're gonna trust your safety...you're gonna risk DEATH
by relying on input from someone who has never seen your house???
You're gonna risk DEATH on ANYTHING you get off the internet.

NEVER, EVER, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT believing a circuit is OFF
without TESTING IT, EVERY TIME, no matter what is written on the panel
and ESPECIALLY based on some input from the internet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 16:53:33 -0800, mike wrote:

CWLee wrote:

[...]

How stupid are you?

The guy was obviously just asking for advice on narrowing his search.
The size of the breakers is something that the average home owner does
not have to know.

You seem to think the OP was just going to label the panel without
doing any tests. It is smart to ask for advice. He has been given
good solid advice on how to narrow his search.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CWLee posted for all of us...

Ideas?

Yeah, Google it. It has been discussed a bazillion times. Geez

--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.