Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit Decoding?

On Jan 4, 7:14�am, "RBM" wrote:
"CWLee" wrote in message

m...

I'm trying to determine which circuits are controlled by which circuit
breakers on a sub-division home built in Southern California in 1980. �I
want to minimize the process of shutting off one circuit at a time and
then walking around checking lights and wall outlets. �I'm hoping some
experienced house construction electricians can make my task easier using
the information provided below.

There are two black toggles, mechanically linked, with the label 125 amps.

There are two black toggles, independent of each other, with the labels 50
amps.

There are two green toggles, independent of each other, with the labels 30
amps.

There is a single black toggle with the label 20 amps.

There are four red toggles, independent of each other, with the labels 20
amps.

There is a single black toggle with the label 15 amps.

There are four blue toggles, independent of each other, with the labels 15
amps.

There are cryptic handwritten letters (perhaps remnants of faded words)
like R, V, Fau, �and DG next to some of the circuit breakers.

Ideas?

--
----------
CWLee

From your post the only thing I can tell is that the panel was made by
Zinsco or Bryant. The 2-50 amp breakers should be tied together so they trip
simultaneously. They probably feed an electric range. The 2-30 amp breakers
should also be tied together. They probably feed an electric dryer. While
there are tools designed to make this process easy, I personally have never
been successful using one, so I just run around with a test light or radio
and flip breakers

radio is best.

do this when wife or GF isnt home to minimze complaints.

a buddy of mine added labels to every switch and outlet with a breaker
number.

myself I would of written the number on the back side of the covers,
he put the labels on the outside, i think it looks tacky.