Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Some random KA vs. Whirlpool dishwasher thoughts

We just moved into a new home with a
Whirlpool DW about
5 month ago. We have had KA DWs for some
37 years previously and have become less
and less satisfied with them. The
last one only lasted 5 years and would
cost more to fix than to buy a new
one. Anyway, we haven't used the
Whirlpool adaptive wash yet, however,
this unit cleans better than any
previous KA ... even though they are the
same company. I especially like the
larger interior as it goes lower to the
kitchen floor. This must make it harder
to service, but it makes the upper
rack taller. My wife complains about
bending down to get thing in the lower
rack, however, she says that's ok
because of the extra interior room. We
have a silverware rack from our old KA.
I'm glad we brought this as it
works way better than the in-door
Whirlpool silverware rack. Yes it
does eat up some lower rack space, but
it's worth it. Using the
in-door rack does cause problems at
things tend to tangle with the lower
rack. We do use the in-door rack for
larger things like serving spoons and
whisks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
[...]

Our second pos Maytag is in it's death throws, so last week we did extensive
research to try to find a replacement. Physically, most of the new "tall
tub" units are similar in design. Looking at a pile of machines in stores
really didn't help us to choose, and strangely our online research showed
that for almost every model we chose, an equal number of people liked them,
and hated them. The only machines that surfaced with very little
dissatisfaction were Bosch, and the only real complaint that came up
multiple times was that certain models gave off a smell. Having nothing
better to go on, I ordered a higher end Bosch, which should be delivered
next week, and we'll find out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Years ago when KA was made by Hobart, they were top of the line machines,
and people who owned them typically loved and swore by them. People who
reviewed them today seemed to have a multitude of complaints, including a
number of prematurely burnt out motors. It does seem like KA is willing to
replace their bad motors even after the warranty period ends though

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I especially like the
larger interior as it goes lower to the
kitchen floor. This must make it harder
to service, but it makes the upper
rack taller. My wife complains about
bending down to get thing in the lower
rack, however, she says that's ok
because of the extra interior room.

The most interesting way I ever saw to deal with the bend over problem, was
to mount the dishwasher in a cabinet that was about a foot higher than the
standard under counter height. The counter space you loose can be used for
the microwave but it requires a bit of creative plumbing in most
applications. Something to consider for those remodeling the kitchen.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
[...]

My last KA needed new baskets. A few
prongs broke off, probably from
rust due to poor coatings. There were
many other rusty spots on the
baskets. BTW, that unit was only used
by 2 adults, no kids. They wanted
an arm and a leg for the 2 baskets.
Plus there
were a few other things wrong. KA
actually offered me $100 off to
buy another KA. I took it and now it's
someone else's problem as I sold
the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I especially like the
larger interior as it goes lower to the
kitchen floor. This must make it harder
to service, but it makes the upper
rack taller. My wife complains about
bending down to get thing in the lower
rack, however, she says that's ok
because of the extra interior room.

The most interesting way I ever saw to deal with the bend over problem, was
to mount the dishwasher in a cabinet that was about a foot higher than the
standard under counter height. The counter space you loose can be used for
the microwave but it requires a bit of creative plumbing in most
applications. Something to consider for those remodeling the kitchen.

I like that idea. Too bad my house is
already built, or I would try to
work it into the plans.