Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Whirlpool dishwasher mid-conversion??

The wife wanted a dishwasher...so...we bought a dishwasher! We got it
at an auction locally, and it was in 'working' condition. It's a
Whilpool model DP840DWGX1, and it is on wheels and has the faucet
adaptor so we assumed it to be a rollaway dishwasher, not one that was
to be hooked up directly to its own water lines, etc.

We tried to hook it up to the sink, but after a minute or two it
gushed water all over our kitchen floor. After cleaning up that mess,
I turned it on its back and noticed a connection which was unscrewed
and just hanging. I found that odd so I hooked it to the only
connection it could reach, where it appeared obvious that it
belonged. I sat it up and tried it again, only to have it dump some
more water on the floor before I yanked the cord from the outlet.
This time, we saw exactly where it was coming from, so I've provided a
picture. The water was gushing out of the white, downward-facing
connector in the center in the photo.

http://www.idcts.com/sites/_newsgroup/P6170026.jpg

Here's my thought. I looked into purchasing the conversion kit so
that we would not have to roll this thing to the sink every time we
want to do dishes. But after looking through the paperwork we got
with it, it has the manual for the conversion kit! Did they maybe
convert it, or try to convert it and now it's just in a state of
conversion-confusion and won't work from the sink anymore? I don't
see a parts list in the conversion manual, but there is a long gray
somewhat-flexible tube, some aestetic pieces to put around it (to hide
the wheels I assume), and a short black flexible pipe with metal
threaded adaptors on each end (one is right-angled).

I'd love to turn it back in to a roll away unit right now, as we will
be moving hopefully in a couple of months, but after that I'd like to
make it a built-in. The manual doesn't show where everything was
hooked up at the factory, since they probably assume that you won't
start switching connections around arbitrarily. I just don't know
what needs to be connected differently for this to work. I could
probably flip it back over and take a pic from the bottom if that is
needed, but I don't know how much water is still in it and what
problems my flipping it might cause.

Sorry for the convoluded question, but I'm really unsure what's going
on here myself. I appreciate any advice you may have! Thanks
everyone!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 17, 6:10 pm, wrote:
The wife wanted a dishwasher...so...we bought a dishwasher! We got it
at an auction locally, and it was in 'working' condition. It's a
Whilpool model DP840DWGX1, and it is on wheels and has the faucet
adaptor so we assumed it to be a rollaway dishwasher, not one that was
to be hooked up directly to its own water lines, etc.

We tried to hook it up to the sink, but after a minute or two it
gushed water all over our kitchen floor.

snip

Sorry for the convoluded question, but I'm really unsure what's going
on here myself. I appreciate any advice you may have! Thanks
everyone!!

Go to repairclinic.com for help. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 9:02 pm, Joe wrote:
On Jun 17, 6:10 pm, wrote:

The wife wanted a dishwasher...so...we bought a dishwasher! We got it
at an auction locally, and it was in 'working' condition. It's a
Whilpool model DP840DWGX1, and it is on wheels and has the faucet
adaptor so we assumed it to be a rollaway dishwasher, not one that was
to be hooked up directly to its own water lines, etc.

We tried to hook it up to the sink, but after a minute or two it
gushed water all over our kitchen floor.
snip
Sorry for the convoluded question, but I'm really unsure what's going
on here myself. I appreciate any advice you may have! Thanks
everyone!!

Go to repairclinic.com for help. HTH

Joe

I just now sent my question to the resident guru there, thanks for the
site recommendation!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 8:37 am, wrote:
On Jun 17, 9:02 pm, Joe wrote:

On Jun 17, 6:10 pm, wrote:

The wife wanted a dishwasher...so...we bought a dishwasher! We got it
at an auction locally, and it was in 'working' condition. It's a
Whilpool model DP840DWGX1, and it is on wheels and has the faucet
adaptor so we assumed it to be a rollaway dishwasher, not one that was
to be hooked up directly to its own water lines, etc.

We tried to hook it up to the sink, but after a minute or two it
gushed water all over our kitchen floor.
snip
Sorry for the convoluded question, but I'm really unsure what's going
on here myself. I appreciate any advice you may have! Thanks
everyone!!

Go to repairclinic.com for help. HTH

Joe

I just now sent my question to the resident guru there, thanks for the
site recommendation!- Hide quoted text -

Well...here is what I was given by the repair clinic:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=904307

Apparently, the item where the water poured out of in my picture was
the inlet valve...but that doesn't really help me, because I have to
believe that the problem is that the hoses are hooked up wrong, or I
need to hook the drain hose up to this port, or something simple like
that.

Any ideas? I'm listing the house for sale next month, and having
a working dishwasher sounds better in the ad than a defunct, DIY
dishwasher.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Well...here is what I was given by the repair clinic:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=904307

Apparently, the item where the water poured out of in my picture was
the inlet valve...but that doesn't really help me, because I have to
believe that the problem is that the hoses are hooked up wrong, or I
need to hook the drain hose up to this port, or something simple like
that.

Any ideas? I'm listing the house for sale next month, and having
a working dishwasher sounds better in the ad than a defunct, DIY
dishwasher.

Thanks!

Portables have a hose that does double duty, supplying the water to the
machine, then allowing it to drain back to the sink, right under the faucet
connection. Do you have a hose like that? Is one part hooked to the drain
under the machine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 3:42 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
wrote in message
Well...here is what I was given by the repair clinic:
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=904307

Apparently, the item where the water poured out of in my picture was
the inlet valve...but that doesn't really help me, because I have to
believe that the problem is that the hoses are hooked up wrong, or I
need to hook the drain hose up to this port, or something simple like
that.

Any ideas? I'm listing the house for sale next month, and having
a working dishwasher sounds better in the ad than a defunct, DIY
dishwasher.

Thanks!

Portables have a hose that does double duty, supplying the water to the
machine, then allowing it to drain back to the sink, right under the faucet
connection. Do you have a hose like that? Is one part hooked to the drain
under the machine?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, there is a hose that stores in the back of the unit that latches
onto the faucet as you mentioned. There is a port with no hose
connected underneath that starts dumping water out after it is a
couple of minutes into the cycle. Unfortunately, there is no obvious
unconnected hose that goes there. So I figure that this was made into
a built-in, and then pulled out of the house to be auctioned. I just
need to know how it is *supposed* to be hooked up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Yes, there is a hose that stores in the back of the unit that latches
onto the faucet as you mentioned. There is a port with no hose
connected underneath that starts dumping water out after it is a
couple of minutes into the cycle. Unfortunately, there is no obvious
unconnected hose that goes there. So I figure that this was made into
a built-in, and then pulled out of the house to be auctioned. I just
need to know how it is *supposed* to be hooked up.

Used as a portable, this is what you should have (similar as it may not fit
your model)
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=524571 Note that is has two
connections on the machine. One supply, one drain.

If it is built in, you need this or a similar type
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=2730

Most portables can be made into built in style units. In that case, you need
to hook the supply line into the fill and run a hose from the drain to a
connection on the sink drain. All you need is the proper diameter hose
available at a hardware or appliance store. The tailpiece of the sink drain
has to be replaced with one that has a connection for the hose, or it can go
into the side of a garbage disposal.