Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Removing part of one truss, temporarily

Removing part of one truss, temporarily.

Even if the roof were to sag when one section is out, can't it be
lifted up again and then the truss repaired, or some other method used
to put the sagging part back where it belongs?

I'm not likely to want to do this, but I wanted to plan for it anyhow.

My pitched, shingled roof is held up with trusses. My townhouse is
about 22 feet wide and the trusses are every 24 inches.

Like most, they are made of 2x4s, arranged in the shape of a triangle,
inside of which is an inverted W.

I currently see no evidence of roof-sagging. I want to install some
things, including a tv antenna, channel 7 and up, that might not fit
between the trusses, unless I cut out 5 or 10 inchess, not the outside
triangle, but one part of one piece of the inner W.

I could probably replace it right afterwards, with a sister 2x4 on the
side maybe, or if not, on the bottom and/or top

Even if the roof were to sag when one section is out, can't it be
lifted up again and then the truss repaired, or some other method used
to put the sagging part back where it belongs?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

Removing part of one truss, temporarily.

Why would you even risk such a thing for a TV antenna and "some things"?

You can't just go whack up a truss and stick it back together so it looks
good & strong even if everything goes well.

First person down the road like a potential buyer, home inspector, etc is
going to want to see is the paper from the PE with the repair spec,
signature and PE stamp.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 4:41*pm, Red Green wrote:
mm wrote :

[...]

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

IF you do go ahead with this, why not put the sister in place before
you cut the truss support? You could put new supports in that would
clear the antenna and then cut out the existing lumber that is in
place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in
:

On Dec 30, 4:41*pm, Red Green wrote:
mm wrote
innews:ashnj55ci62e5fnq9s8rtefhjcjg57

:

[...]

Hey, why not whack up the antenna and sister it back together with dowels
and duct tape?

Could even use some cardboard and duct tape to make gussets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Hey, why not whack up the antenna and sister it back together with
dowels and duct tape?

Could even use some cardboard and duct tape to make gussets.

That would be my cho8ice. If the antenna is tubular, insert a dowel to join
the two pieces together. If solid, wrap a piece of solid materia over the
two halves or put a piece of tubing over the top of them for the splice.

As for removing the truss, it is very possible you can make the cuts and do
hte patch and not have any movement at all, but I'd still not chance scewing
around wiht something like that. It can bite you in the ass down the road.

OTOH, the only stations worth watching are on cable. Discovery, History
Channel, TLC, Science, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What are other people doing? Please don't tell me that everyone has to chop
a hole in their roof and remove a truss to watch channel 7 ? Check other
alternatives. If you factor in time any money on what you'll spend on
materials, you may be able to buy a more compact gadget/antenna to acheive
the same results at the same cost.
"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danimal wrote:
What are other people doing? Please don't tell me that everyone has
to chop a hole in their roof and remove a truss to watch channel 7 ? Check
other alternatives. If you factor in time any money on what
you'll spend on materials, you may be able to buy a more compact
gadget/antenna to acheive the same results at the same cost.
"mm" wrote in message

I'm going to patent a new concept. Attach the antenna to the chimney on the
roof. Why didn't someone think of that before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in
:

[...]

Actually, not a bad idea. Replace the longer elements on the antenna
with something metal the same length that can be snapped off and on as
needed. Or maybe modify the existing antenna by making clean cuts on the
too-long elements, and reassemble them using tubing to make a sleeve
that the elements fit tightly into, with set screws to hold it all
together. Inside, out of the weather, all the elements need to do is
hold themselves up and in the proper orientation, not fight the wind.
One could even make a usable antenna out of copper wire segments hung in
the proper orientation, held up with non-conductive fish line.

For damn sure I'd do something like that before I went mucking up the
trusses.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:46:57 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in
:

On Dec 30, 4:41 pm, Red Green wrote:
mm wrote
innews:ashnj55ci62e5fnq9s8rtefhjcjg57
:
Removing part of one truss, temporarily.
Why would you even risk such a thing for a TV antenna and "some
things"?

You can't just go whack up a truss and stick it back together so it
looks good & strong even if everything goes well.

First person down the road like a potential buyer, home inspector,

That's a good point.

etc is going to want to see is the paper from the PE with the repair
spec, signature and PE stamp.
Even if the roof were to sag when one section is out, can't it be
lifted up again and then the truss repaired, or some other method
used to put the sagging part back where it belongs?
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -
IF you do go ahead with this, why not put the sister in place before
you cut the truss support? You could put new supports in that would
clear the antenna and then cut out the existing lumber that is in
place.

That's an idea too. I hadn't thought of it.

Hey, why not whack up the antenna and sister it back together with dowels
and duct tape?

Could even use some cardboard and duct tape to make gussets.

Actually, not a bad idea. Replace the longer elements on the antenna
with something metal the same length that can be snapped off and on as
needed.

Solidsignal.com has email and telephone help, and I called and asked
if the elements came off. Unfortunately she had to check with someone
who had actually held an antenna, but the answer was no. But I still
might drill out the rivet on one or two elements if I have to and
reattach with a screw and nut.

I also made sure that each element opened separately. I was afraid it
might be like an umbrella. On some antennas, two or more elements
hinge in the opposite direction and they're worried the customer will
break one by getting it stuck under another and then forcing it, so I
won't do that.

orr maybe modify the existing antenna by making clean cuts on the
too-long elements, and reassemble them using tubing to make a sleeve
that the elements fit tightly into, with set screws to hold it all
together.

That's a good idea.

Inside, out of the weather, all the elements need to do is
hold themselves up and in the proper orientation, not fight the wind.
One could even make a usable antenna out of copper wire segments hung in
the proper orientation, held up with non-conductive fish line.

I figure it's worth spending a little money, when it's a one-time cost
and only 60 to 80 dollars. Right now I get most of the stations I
want just with a single strand 7-foot piece of wire stuck into the
coaxial connector hole, then draped over a dresser. I get 3 or 3 DC
stations this way, plus 7.2, and I'm in Baltimore. I'm hoping to get
four or five more, counting x.1, x.2, x.3, and maybe one really good
one,

For damn sure I'd do something like that before I went mucking up the
trusses.

Well, cutting the truss was only a last ditch idea if nothing else
worked. It's probably more likely I'd try to return the
antenna, or sell it, and buy the next smaller one.

But I like to plan for all contingencies in advance.

Thanks to all of you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:12:43 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

That would be my cho8ice. If the antenna is tubular, insert a dowel to join
the two pieces together. If solid, wrap a piece of solid materia over the
two halves or put a piece of tubing over the top of them for the splice.

Actually, the Winegard HD7695P and 6P do come in two pieces. The front
half of the beam gets inserted in the rear half and screwed together.
That should make it easier to install also.

As for removing the truss, it is very possible you can make the cuts and do
hte patch and not have any movement at all, but I'd still not chance scewing
around wiht something like that. It can bite you in the ass down the road.

Okay, you have a point, as does Red regarding the home inspector.

The thing is, everytime I figur out how to install one antenna, I
start asking myself if there is room for the next size bigger. But I
just noticed that though the 7694P, 5P, and 6P are all no more than
36" wide, it jumps up to 54" for 97P and 98P

OTOH, the only stations worth watching are on cable. Discovery, History
Channel, TLC, Science, etc.

I agree. Well, I think so. Since I don't have cable I'm just
guessing. But over the air now here now has Retro TV, with reruns
from the 50's through the 70's, and THIS, with mostly old action
movies, plus SeaHunt and Mr. Ed. Seahunt is surprisingly good, but I
still don't like Mr. Ed. (the shows change when they run out of
episodes, and that doesnt' take too long at 5 episodes a week. It's
not like MASH where they show it over and over and over. )

Thanks to all of you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

If you do cut and then rejoin the antenna elements, make sure they
have good electrical connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 21:11:59 -0500, mm
wrote:

Actually, the Winegard HD7695P and 6P do come in two pieces. The front

Just 6P does.

5P and 6P both have the rear element folded the opposite direction.

half of the beam gets inserted in the rear half and screwed together.
That should make it easier to install also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:46:57 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in

:

[...]

I was just kidding about hacking up the antenna!

Not sure why you don't want to mount it outside on the house.

I stuck one of these $35/40 Walmart jobs outside on the chimney

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=11019010

I get a bunch of stations from Raleigh which is 45 (air) miles north to
their transmitters. Also get a couple from Myrtle Beach SC which is a
little further and south. It's a cheap CRT digital TV.

Might mention that it has one of those little inline boosters (amplified)
that goes to a wall wart. When I unplug that I get almost nothing. When
in, everything comes in clear. I don't watch much TV so it's good enough
for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If I was in your neighbourhhood, I would rush up to your door and kick you
solid in the nuts for being so ****in stupid as to think about installing a
godamn antenna while complemplating about chopping out your roof to get
channel 7. You are very lucky that space and time are on your side.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 4:43*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

I mounted my UHF TV antenna on a plumbing vent. I cut the vent pipe
inside the attic and spliced in a "T". The cable goes in the side of
the "T" and then up through the roof.
Dont forget to seal around the cable oryou will get sewer gas in your
attic.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 31, 7:55*am, JIMMIE wrote:
On Dec 30, 4:43*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

Jimmie- Hide quoted text -

Great idea
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:17:37 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

mm wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:46:57 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in

:

[...]

That's okay. I'm crazy enough to do it!**

Not sure why you don't want to mount it outside on the house.

That would get me 10 added feet or more, but according to tvfool.com,
I would have to have the antenna 50 feet high to get more stations
than one in the attic is likely to get.

Plus I'd have to borrow a ladder, probably from a friend who would
insist on bringing it over for me, I'm fatter than ever, and it's cold
outside, the antenna won't weather in the attic, and won't fall over,
ever.

I considered erecting a mast from the ground, underneath a fir tree
and putting 30 feet of the mast withn the tree.

They both seem too much work for what I'm likely to get.

I stuck one of these $35/40 Walmart jobs outside on the chimney
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=11019010

I only have a round galvanized chimney. I don't think it will hold an
antenna, will it? There is still roof mount.

I get a bunch of stations from Raleigh which is 45 (air) miles north to
their transmitters. Also get a couple from Myrtle Beach SC which is a
little further and south. It's a cheap CRT digital TV.

Might mention that it has one of those little inline boosters (amplified)
that goes to a wall wart. When I unplug that I get almost nothing. When
in, everything comes in clear.

Very interesting!!! How far is the antenna from your tv?

People keep telling me that "The amplifier is only to make up for
losses from the antenna to the tv, not to get more stations", but
since there are weak stations, those seem like more or less the same
thing to me. And unless your antenna is 50 or 80 feet from the tv,
your experience agrees with what I thought.

I don't watch much TV so it's good enough
for me.

I watch it a lot, but since one digital station now has RTV and
another has WITH, there's really enough on.

But I want my old stations back and the antenna prices are 60, 66, and
80 dollars. For the same effort, I want to put in the biggest that
will fit.

(I get one PBS channel but I"m missing on PBS channel 26 an hour of
news Friday night, plus an hour of Monk if he's still on, plus an old
movie on Saturday nights, some I want to see, some I don't.)

The stations I know I can get are all in the direction parallel to the
trusses, but I can still rotate the antenna 10 or 15 degrees each way.
I think I could fit an even longer one than the 6P, but the longer the
antenna, the less I'll be able to point it. That reminds me. I'm
supposed to find my compass and verify exactly what direction my house
faces.

**Well, I probably could cut off an element, because all but one of
the antennas I'm considering have more VHF elements for channels 7 to
13 than there are channels. 13-6= 7 The biggest one I'm likely to
buy, the 6P, has 15 VHF elements for 7 channels. I'm pretty sure I
could sacrifice one or two and it would still work well.

Plus there is no channel 10 or 12 I have any chance of getting here,
The odds are 2 out of 7 that if I take off an element, it will be one
intended for a channel that doesn't exist around here. (But the plan
is to drill out the rivet and then bolt it back.)

Plus 11 and 13 are local and so strong, they should come in no matter
what. That only leaves 7, 8, and 9, two of which I can get with just
with a 7-foot single strand wire. That leaves channel 8, which I
would like to get.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 05:55:31 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Dec 30, 4:43*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

I like that! It shows imagination.
Posted to alt.home.repair

the roof weill atenuate / decrease signal a lot.........

outside will be far better. plus you probably cant rotate or move the
antenna in the attic much..........

having had inside antennas before, and noted the digital signals seem
to be hurt more by passing thru buildings

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Plus I'd have to borrow a ladder, probably from a friend who would
insist on bringing it over for me, I'm fatter than ever, and it's cold
outside, the antenna won't weather in the attic, and won't fall over,
ever.

They sound like very valid reasons to stay off the roof. Last time I was on
mine was 2001. Next trip will be: never.

(I get one PBS channel but I"m missing on PBS channel 26 an hour of
news Friday night, plus an hour of Monk if he's still on, plus an old
movie on Saturday nights, some I want to see, some I don't.)

If need be, you can get Monk on DVD. I like the final show though, one of
the best in a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 14:13:25 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

mm wrote:

Plus I'd have to borrow a ladder, probably from a friend who would
insist on bringing it over for me, I'm fatter than ever, and it's cold
outside, the antenna won't weather in the attic, and won't fall over,
ever.

They sound like very valid reasons to stay off the roof. Last time I was on
mine was 2001. Next trip will be: never.

I went up 3 times 3 years ago when the guy was replacing the roof, and
it wasn't bad. I was sure-footed. And I saw where he put sheetmetal
over a couple damaged sheets of plywood, no extra charge, looked very
nice. But he had an even longer ladder that went 3 feet above the
roof, much easier for going back down.

(I get one PBS channel but I"m missing on PBS channel 26 an hour of
news Friday night, plus an hour of Monk if he's still on, plus an old
movie on Saturday nights, some I want to see, some I don't.)

If need be, you can get Monk on DVD. I like the final show though, one of
the best in a while.

I guess I missed it, but this channel does show reruns, I think. And
if not, thanks for letting me know aobut the DVD.

I was all ready to buy the antenna last night when I saw they also had
FM antennas for 20 dollars and if I buy at the same time, I'll save 6
dollars on shipping. So now I need to decide if I'll hook up an FM
antenna if I buy one.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:58:14 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

the roof weill atenuate / decrease signal a lot.........

outside will be far better. plus you probably cant rotate or move the
antenna in the attic much..........

having had inside antennas before, and noted the digital signals seem
to be hurt more by passing thru buildings

Thanks, I know, but I've done my research and this is it.

I forgot to say to Red that one person gave good advice. Get the
antenna and later I can get an amplifier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 23:17:37 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

mm wrote in
m:

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:46:57 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

Red Green wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in

om
:

[...]

The one I mentioned is just some lightweight plastic thing.

I get a bunch of stations from Raleigh which is 45 (air) miles north
to their transmitters. Also get a couple from Myrtle Beach SC which is
a little further and south. It's a cheap CRT digital TV.

Might mention that it has one of those little inline boosters
(amplified) that goes to a wall wart. When I unplug that I get almost
nothing. When in, everything comes in clear.

Very interesting!!! How far is the antenna from your tv?

Total probably 35 ft of line.

People keep telling me that "The amplifier is only to make up for
losses from the antenna to the tv, not to get more stations", but
since there are weak stations, those seem like more or less the same
thing to me. And unless your antenna is 50 or 80 feet from the tv,
your experience agrees with what I thought.

I'm no TV or antenna guru so I'm not going to argue with "the people". I
just know what's here, the fact that it works and the inline amp does
something to make it work. Sorta like how aluminum hats work. Leave the
reasons to "the people".

I don't watch much TV so it's good enough
for me.

I watch it a lot, but since one digital station now has RTV and
another has WITH, there's really enough on.

But I want my old stations back and the antenna prices are 60, 66, and
80 dollars. For the same effort, I want to put in the biggest that
will fit.

If I were to be here for any length of time I'd see it just about the
same as you.

Removing Turf Part 2 mo UK diy 3 November 2nd 08 09:00 PM
In God we truss Roland Butter[_2_] UK diy 6 August 5th 08 01:14 PM
Temporarily dried up FoggyTown Woodworking 31 September 23rd 07 08:50 PM
temporarily removing a vampire tap [email protected] Home Repair 7 May 4th 05 03:01 AM
Help fix damaged truss rod end [email protected] Woodworking 12 January 19th 05 03:58 AM