Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Removing part of one truss, temporarily

"hr(bob) " wrote in
:

On Dec 30, 4:41*pm, Red Green wrote:
mm wrote
innews:ashnj55ci62e5fnq9s8rtefhjcjg57

:

Removing part of one truss, temporarily.

Why would you even risk such a thing for a TV antenna and "some
things"?

You can't just go whack up a truss and stick it back together so it
looks good & strong even if everything goes well.

First person down the road like a potential buyer, home inspector,
etc is going to want to see is the paper from the PE with the repair
spec, signature and PE stamp.

Even if the roof were to sag when one section is out, can't it be
lifted up again and then the truss repaired, or some other method
used to put the sagging part back where it belongs?

I'm not likely to want to do this, but I wanted to plan for it
anyhow.

My pitched, shingled roof is held up with trusses. * My townhouse
is about 22 feet wide and the trusses are every 24 inches.

Like most, they are made of 2x4s, arranged in the shape of a
triangle, inside of which is an inverted W.

I currently see no evidence of roof-sagging. * *I want to install s

ome
things, including a tv antenna, channel 7 and up, that might not
fit between the trusses, unless I cut out 5 or 10 inchess, not the
outside triangle, but one part of one piece of the inner W.

I could probably replace it right afterwards, with a sister 2x4 on
the side maybe, or if not, on the bottom and/or top

Even if the roof were to sag when one section is out, can't it be
lifted up again and then the truss repaired, or some other method
used to put the sagging part back where it belongs?

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

IF you do go ahead with this, why not put the sister in place before
you cut the truss support? You could put new supports in that would
clear the antenna and then cut out the existing lumber that is in
place.

Hey, why not whack up the antenna and sister it back together with dowels
and duct tape?

Could even use some cardboard and duct tape to make gussets.