Default Help fix damaged truss rod end

Hello:

When bulding my workbench (truss rod construstion), I made the mistake
of tapping the stubborn truss rod ends with a hammer to move them in
place. As a result, the threads on the ends were smashed and will not
accept a nut. I tried to use a triangular file to "recreate" the
grooves, but this only made it stripped! Is there any way for me to
repair the ends or rethread them? I know this is not rec.metalworking,
but I figured someone here has done the same thing. Please list
multiple solutions if there are any. Thanks in advance!

Bob

Roger Shoaf

They make a thread restoring file you could try or you can possibly clean up
the threads by running a die over them.

Describe the rod you are using for a truss.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello:

When bulding my workbench (truss rod construstion), I made the mistake
of tapping the stubborn truss rod ends with a hammer to move them in
place. As a result, the threads on the ends were smashed and will not
accept a nut. I tried to use a triangular file to "recreate" the
grooves, but this only made it stripped! Is there any way for me to
repair the ends or rethread them? I know this is not rec.metalworking,
but I figured someone here has done the same thing. Please list
multiple solutions if there are any. Thanks in advance!

Bob

TeamCasa

It's steel. Re-thread the end with a thread chaser or a thread restoration
file.
Worst case, have it cut, weld a new section on.

Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello:

When bulding my workbench (truss rod construstion), I made the mistake
of tapping the stubborn truss rod ends with a hammer to move them in
place. As a result, the threads on the ends were smashed and will not
accept a nut. I tried to use a triangular file to "recreate" the
grooves, but this only made it stripped! Is there any way for me to
repair the ends or rethread them? I know this is not rec.metalworking,
but I figured someone here has done the same thing. Please list
multiple solutions if there are any. Thanks in advance!

Bob

Phil at small (vs at large)

If you have access to a tap & die set, you can 'chase' the threads back
into their original condition (or so) with the appropriatly sized die--
to find out the size, you can use the supplied nut & test - by hand &
gently with various sized taps until the correct one will easily screw
on to the tap. You may have to round over the peened end of the rod
slightly with a file. Most dies have an end that is larger than the
finished thread size. Screw that end on first. If you don't have a
die set, any decent machine shop can rethread the end for you on the
lathe. Hope this helps.

Duane Bozarth

"Phil at small (vs at large)" wrote:

.... any decent machine shop can rethread the end for you on the lathe.

Don't think they would have a die?

By the time he pays the machine setup fee, he'll have bought the rod
several times over...
Phil at small (vs at large)

Thought of that after I posted-- and you were so kind to remind me. I
always think most people have more bucks than me lol-- Anyway, I like
the post below yours best-- simple simple simple.

Duane Bozarth

"Phil at small (vs at large)" wrote:

Thought of that after I posted-- and you were so kind to remind me. I
always think most people have more bucks than me lol-- Anyway, I like
the post below yours best-- simple simple simple.

As long as there is enough extra length to implement it, of course...

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"Phil at small (vs at large)" wrote:

.... any decent machine shop can rethread the end for you on the

lathe.

Don't think they would have a die?

By the time he pays the machine setup fee, he'll have bought the rod
several times over...

Or the start of a nice little die/tap set--always good to have around.
Dan