Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Removing part of one truss, temporarily

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 05:55:31 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE
wrote:

On Dec 30, 4:43*pm, mm wrote:
Removing part of one truss, temporarily.

Even if the roof were to sag when one section is out, can't it be
lifted up again and then the truss repaired, or some other method used
to put the sagging part back where it belongs?

I'm not likely to want to do this, but I wanted to plan for it anyhow.

My pitched, shingled roof is held up with trusses. * My townhouse is
about 22 feet wide and the trusses are every 24 inches.

Like most, they are made of 2x4s, arranged in the shape of a triangle,
inside of which is an inverted W.

I currently see no evidence of roof-sagging. * *I want to install some
things, including a tv antenna, channel 7 and up, that might not fit
between the trusses, unless I cut out 5 or 10 inchess, not the outside
triangle, but one part of one piece of the inner W.

I could probably replace it right afterwards, with a sister 2x4 on the
side maybe, or if not, on the bottom and/or top

Even if the roof were to sag when one section is out, can't it be
lifted up again and then the truss repaired, or some other method used
to put the sagging part back where it belongs?

Thanks.

I mounted my UHF TV antenna on a plumbing vent. I cut the vent pipe
inside the attic and spliced in a "T". The cable goes in the side of
the "T" and then up through the roof.
Dont forget to seal around the cable oryou will get sewer gas in your
attic.

Jimmie

I like that! It shows imagination.