Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sound insulation with soft strips?

Hi,

I have posted a sound insulation question before a received a lot of
useful information.

I would like to revisit it one more time. I'm trying to sound insulate a
second floor bedroom from the kitchen directly below it. The bedroom has
3/4 pine nailed directly to the joists.

So I'd like to ask a very specific question. Is there some kind of soft
material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips that
will absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation (at
the same time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling drywall.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 29, 11:15*am, Sam Takoy wrote:

snip

Is there some kind of soft
material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips that
will absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation (at
the same time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling drywall.

Short answer, no. Laws of physics make it improbable. Do more
research. It's possible, but expensive depending on the goals you set.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2009-12-29, Joe wrote:
On Dec 29, 11:15Â*am, Sam Takoy wrote:

Is there some kind of soft
material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips that
will absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation (at
the same time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling drywall.

Short answer, no. Laws of physics make it improbable. Do more
research. It's possible, but expensive depending on the goals you set.

Isn't there a type of caulk that is supposed to be acustically
absorbant?

I've never used it before, I just seem to remember reading about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RRW RRW is offline

Check the Homasote web page, the solution appears to be layers of
Homasote/resilient channels/drywall on the ceiling.

On Dec 29, 11:15�am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have posted a sound insulation question before a received a lot of
useful information.

I would like to revisit it one more time. I'm trying to sound insulate a
second floor bedroom from the kitchen directly below it. The bedroom has
3/4 pine nailed directly to the joists.

So I'd like to ask a very specific question. Is there some kind of soft
material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips that
will absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation (at
the same time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling drywall.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 11:15*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have posted a sound insulation question before a received a lot of
useful information.

I would like to revisit it one more time. I'm trying to sound insulate a
second floor bedroom from the kitchen directly below it. The bedroom has
3/4 pine nailed directly to the joists.

So I'd like to ask a very specific question. Is there some kind of soft
material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips that
will absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation (at
the same time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling drywall.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

In music studios for real soundproofing rooms are built inside rooms
without anything touching, a friend who has built them said a bead of
caulk was used on the studs before drywall was attached, I know a
drywaller that also does this. Im sure any caulk will work, let it
harden first. But this is only the smallest part of a sound deadening
job, double drywall would help more as would other things you need to
research, there is drywall designed to reduce sound and fiberglass
insulation that would be special orders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Takoy wrote the following:
Hi,

I have posted a sound insulation question before a received a lot of
useful information.

I would like to revisit it one more time. I'm trying to sound insulate
a second floor bedroom from the kitchen directly below it. The bedroom
has 3/4 pine nailed directly to the joists.

So I'd like to ask a very specific question. Is there some kind of
soft material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips
that will absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation
(at the same time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling
drywall.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Rip out the kitchen ceiling and install soundproofing material between
the joists.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I have posted a sound insulation question before a received a lot of
useful information.

I would like to revisit it one more time. I'm trying to sound insulate a
second floor bedroom from the kitchen directly below it. The bedroom has
3/4 pine nailed directly to the joists.

So I'd like to ask a very specific question. Is there some kind of soft
material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips that will
absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation (at the same
time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling drywall.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

As you was told the last time you asked there are no magic simple
answers...Adding soft strips of cloth or caulking will do nothing....I'm
sure others will re-post the same answers as before and they were good ones
but I'm not gonna bother...You already know the answers....You just don't
want to do the work....HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 12:15:47 -0500, Sam Takoy
wrote:

Hi,

I have posted a sound insulation question before a received a lot of
useful information.

I would like to revisit it one more time. I'm trying to sound insulate a
second floor bedroom from the kitchen directly below it. The bedroom has
3/4 pine nailed directly to the joists.

So I'd like to ask a very specific question. Is there some kind of soft
material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips that
will absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation (at
the same time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling drywall.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

What kind of sound is being transmitted? Did you try eliminating the
source of the sound? Insulating for sound is very specific and the
most effective barrier will involve more than one step. A small hole
along side a pipe will transmit sound, so caulking or using expanding
foam is your first step. Seal around heating ducts, electrical holes,
etc. Then, (loosely) fill the voids with poly batting or fiberglass
insulation. Sound deadening can cost much less during new
construction or renovation. Where I live they test loud sirens every
first Wednesday of the month for 5 minutes (every dog starts howling
too)--annoying but not much can be done here except ear plugs or
relocation.

Stud wall sound insulation nafuk UK diy 12 August 1st 06 03:07 PM
Sound Insulation Andrew Mawson UK diy 8 November 23rd 05 08:12 AM
Sound insulation Ben Da Menda UK diy 8 November 8th 05 03:28 PM