Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Sound insulation with soft strips?

On Dec 29, 11:15*am, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I have posted a sound insulation question before a received a lot of
useful information.

I would like to revisit it one more time. I'm trying to sound insulate a
second floor bedroom from the kitchen directly below it. The bedroom has
3/4 pine nailed directly to the joists.

So I'd like to ask a very specific question. Is there some kind of soft
material that I can add to the kitchen ceiling joists as strips that
will absorb acoustic energy and therefore act as sound insulation (at
the same time not affect the structural integrity of the ceiling drywall.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

In music studios for real soundproofing rooms are built inside rooms
without anything touching, a friend who has built them said a bead of
caulk was used on the studs before drywall was attached, I know a
drywaller that also does this. Im sure any caulk will work, let it
harden first. But this is only the smallest part of a sound deadening
job, double drywall would help more as would other things you need to
research, there is drywall designed to reduce sound and fiberglass
insulation that would be special orders.