Posted to alt.home.repair

Default NM cable clamp question

I'm putting fan rated ceiling boxes in the bedrooms of my house since I
need to replace them anyway (see other thread) The boxes that I can
find do not have cable clamps built in but round knockouts on four
faces. I'm planning on using these:

http://www.halexco.com/products.cfm?...oduct_group=NM

seems to imply that it is OK to put two 14/2 through one clamp, is that
correct? That would make things neater if I could do that, but I don't
want to if it's prohibited by something or other.

Also, is there any prohibition against putting the clamps in "backwards"
that is with the screw and clamp inside the box? I don't need to do
this for this job but I could see some situations (e.g. putting a box in
an existing hole using existing wiring) where that might be desirable.

nate

(doing my laundry while waiting for the girl to come home, then I'll be
back up in the attic again...)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

It will hold 2- 14/2 cables legally, as will an Arlington button, which is
plastic, nonconductive and has a smaller footprint

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.halexco.com/products.cfm?...D=1283 &produ
ct_group=NM

seems to imply that it is OK to put two 14/2 through one clamp, is that
correct? That would make things neater if I could do that, but I don't
want to if it's prohibited by something or other.

If the device is listed for use with two cables (which this one is) then it's
ok to use it for two cables.

Also, is there any prohibition against putting the clamps in "backwards"
that is with the screw and clamp inside the box? I don't need to do
this for this job but I could see some situations (e.g. putting a box in
an existing hole using existing wiring) where that might be desirable.

Huh. Dunno. Never thought about that...
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I might pick up a few of those if I can find them. look like a
handy product.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
[...]

I would buy Romex connectors by the box, and every once in a while they were
not properly deburred. If you clamped down just a little too tight, small
shards of metal would cut right through the jacket and the conductor
insulation, and short out the cable. The Arlington buttons are so small,
install from one side, and have no locknut to thread on, and if the cable
did happen to get cut, they're non conductive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.halexco.com/products.cfm?...tor&productID=...
ct_group=NM

seems to imply that it is OK to put two 14/2 through one clamp, is that
correct? *That would make things neater if I could do that, but I don't
want to if it's prohibited by something or other.

If the device is listed for use with two cables (which this one is) then it's
ok to use it for two cables.

Also, is there any prohibition against putting the clamps in "backwards"
that is with the screw and clamp inside the box? *I don't need to do
this for this job but I could see some situations (e.g. putting a box in
an existing hole using existing wiring) where that might be desirable.

Huh. Dunno. Never thought about that...

I have used a couple of cable clamps that were constructed with double
cable 'channels' but one clamp so as to accomodate two cables in the
one cable clamp opening. Would be excellent for say two #14AWG etc.
Can't recall the item number. Cheers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , (RBM) writes:

| "Nate Nagel" wrote in message
| I'm putting fan rated ceiling boxes in the bedrooms of my house since I
| need to replace them anyway (see other thread) The boxes that I can find
| do not have cable clamps built in but round knockouts on four faces. I'm
| planning on using these:

http://www.halexco.com/products.cfm?...oduct_group=NM

[...]

| It will hold 2- 14/2 cables legally, as will an Arlington button, which is
| plastic, nonconductive and has a smaller footprint

I sometimes worry about the summary listings versus the actual UL listing
that presumably matters. For example, in this case, are we really supposed
to believe that the clamp is good for 14/2, 12/2, and 12/3 but not 14/3?

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com
Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, is there any prohibition against putting the clamps in "backwards"
that is with the screw and clamp inside the box? *I don't need to do
this for this job but I could see some situations (e.g. putting a box in
an existing hole using existing wiring) where that might be desirable.

I don't see why not. I had to snake another 14/2 into an existing
metal box. And I used one of those plastic clamps, but backwards.
Anotherwords I installed it from inside the box pushing out, Since
there was no way I was going to install it from outside the box.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

I sometimes worry about the summary listings versus the actual UL listing
that presumably matters. For example, in this case, are we really supposed
to believe that the clamp is good for 14/2, 12/2, and 12/3 but not 14/3?

Could just as easily mean that it isn't listed for 14/3 because it wasn't
tested with 14/3.

P clip, Fischer Cable Clasp or Fischer Twin Clamp ? js.b1 UK diy 1 October 28th 09 03:08 PM
pony clamp question tr Woodworking 3 November 27th 06 01:09 AM
cable clamp on meter base and service panel [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 4th 06 08:22 PM
Cable Clamp Question. [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 16th 05 02:56 AM
2 wires in one cable clamp. OK for Code? Nick Home Repair 3 February 13th 05 12:38 AM