Posted to rec.woodworking
tr tr is offline

Default pony clamp question

I am clamping a number of 24W x 42L slat panels made up of 10 each 2
1/4" by 5/16" thick slats. I am figuring on 4 pony bar clamps per
panel using a 1" square wood piece on each side to help spread the
clamping pressure...is this enough for a 42" long panel ?

Also...I am using Titebond Pro glue...the bottle says to only clamp for
30 minutes...?...seems I remember clamping for 24 hrs ? Are most of
you only clamping for 30- 60 minutes before releasing the clamp
pressure ?

Sure would speed up my making the 24 panels !

Thanks, TR

Posted to rec.woodworking

tr wrote:
I am clamping a number of 24W x 42L slat panels made up of 10 each 2
1/4" by 5/16" thick slats. I am figuring on 4 pony bar clamps per
panel using a 1" square wood piece on each side to help spread the
clamping pressure...is this enough for a 42" long panel ?

Also...I am using Titebond Pro glue...the bottle says to only clamp for
30 minutes...?...seems I remember clamping for 24 hrs ? Are most of
you only clamping for 30- 60 minutes before releasing the clamp
pressure ?

Sure would speed up my making the 24 panels !

Thanks, TR

If your joints are true and you aren't depending on clamping pressure
to bring the surfaces into contact, then 4 clamps will do. On a panel
with that many pieces, be sure to alternate the clamps on top and
bottom of the panel to avoid bowing the panel when the clamps flex.

30 minutes is enough IF your joints are true and you aren't depending
on clamp pressure to hold the surfaces in contact. Otherwise, 24 hours
is needed to handle the stress placed on the joint when you release the
clamps.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - Thomas
Carlyle

Posted to rec.woodworking

tr wrote:
I am clamping a number of 24W x 42L slat panels made up of 10 each 2
1/4" by 5/16" thick slats. I am figuring on 4 pony bar clamps per
panel using a 1" square wood piece on each side to help spread the
clamping pressure...is this enough for a 42" long panel ?

Also...I am using Titebond Pro glue...the bottle says to only clamp for
30 minutes...?...seems I remember clamping for 24 hrs ? Are most of
you only clamping for 30- 60 minutes before releasing the clamp
pressure ?

Sure would speed up my making the 24 panels !

With only 4 clamps, make the cauls wider to better spread out the
clamping pressure. Straight 2 x 4s are better than 1" strips.