Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default NM cable clamp question

On Dec 27, 5:23*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Nate Nagel wrote:
I'm putting fan rated ceiling boxes in the bedrooms of my house since I
need to replace them anyway (see other thread) *The boxes that I can
find do not have cable clamps built in but round knockouts on four
faces. *I'm planning on using these:

http://www.halexco.com/products.cfm?...tor&productID=...
ct_group=NM

seems to imply that it is OK to put two 14/2 through one clamp, is that
correct? *That would make things neater if I could do that, but I don't
want to if it's prohibited by something or other.

If the device is listed for use with two cables (which this one is) then it's
ok to use it for two cables.

Also, is there any prohibition against putting the clamps in "backwards"
that is with the screw and clamp inside the box? *I don't need to do
this for this job but I could see some situations (e.g. putting a box in
an existing hole using existing wiring) where that might be desirable.

Huh. Dunno. Never thought about that...

I have used a couple of cable clamps that were constructed with double
cable 'channels' but one clamp so as to accomodate two cables in the
one cable clamp opening. Would be excellent for say two #14AWG etc.
Can't recall the item number. Cheers.