Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cable clamp on meter base and service panel

I am installing a meter base on a new house. The 4/0 cable from the
meter base to the 200 amp service panel will exit out the back of the
meter base, turn and go up for about a foot, and then enter into the
back of the service panel. I am planning on putting a cable clamp on
both the meter base and the service panel where the wire enters each
box. Usually I have seen these cable clamps installed such that the
clamping part is on the outside of the service panel or the meter base
and the threaded part is on the inside, but I was wondering...is there
really any harm in having the clamp part on the inside? It would make
things much easier to install. I could install the clamps before
mounting either box and then tighten on the cable from the inside of
each box. I can't seem to find any code problem with this - I just
haven't seen it done (but then again, I haven't seen that many)

Thanks for any responses