Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default NM cable clamp question

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
I'm putting fan rated ceiling boxes in the bedrooms of my house since I
need to replace them anyway (see other thread) The boxes that I can
find do not have cable clamps built in but round knockouts on four
faces. I'm planning on using these:

http://www.halexco.com/products.cfm?...oduct_group=NM

seems to imply that it is OK to put two 14/2 through one clamp, is that
correct? That would make things neater if I could do that, but I don't
want to if it's prohibited by something or other.

Also, is there any prohibition against putting the clamps in "backwards"
that is with the screw and clamp inside the box? I don't need to do
this for this job but I could see some situations (e.g. putting a box in
an existing hole using existing wiring) where that might be desirable.

nate

(doing my laundry while waiting for the girl to come home, then I'll be
back up in the attic again...)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It will hold 2- 14/2 cables legally, as will an Arlington button, which
is plastic, nonconductive and has a smaller footprint

Thanks! I might pick up a few of those if I can find them. look like a
handy product.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I would buy Romex connectors by the box, and every once in a while they were
not properly deburred. If you clamped down just a little too tight, small
shards of metal would cut right through the jacket and the conductor
insulation, and short out the cable. The Arlington buttons are so small,
install from one side, and have no locknut to thread on, and if the cable
did happen to get cut, they're non conductive.