Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical switch -- no longer controls outlets -- Help??

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:55:55 -0500, "Twayne"
wrote:

In ,
Harry L typed:
On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 21:56:52 -0600, cjt
wrote:

[snip]

That's a quick way to burn down a house, as somebody actually proved
not long ago -- I think the news item was even discussed in this
newsgroup.

Does it work on FPE panels?

I know a couple of people who had them, but those houses have already
burned down (or was that "burned up"?).

More ignorance; you don't even know what such a test is.

--

You're welcome to that belief.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Doug Miller typed:
In article , "Twayne"
wrote:

That wasn't a screwdrive test; it was stupidity and ignorance. See my

That's an *excellent* description of your posts: "stupidity and
ignorance".

lol, can't read, can you?

Often you'll find excellent advice on a newsgroup.
Before you use that advice though, consider the
ramifications of it being wrong or even dangerous;
how important IS that to you?
ALWAYS verify and confirm ANY advice from a
newsgroup!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tim birr" wrote in message
So, I decided to spend Christmas Eve replacing a wall outlet that no
longer held electrical plugs very well.

Swapped out the single white wire, the single red wire, the single
black wire and connected the green ground wire.

Now, said outlet works fine....but...

Originally, I had a wall switch across the room that turned off the
power to the outlet I just replaced, as well as to a second outlet in
the same room.

Now, the wall switch no longer controls the power to the outlets.

The wall toggle switch can be on or off, doesn't matter, power still
flows to both outlets.

What did I screw up. In other words, how can I get it back to where
when I put the toggle switch to off, both table lamps turn off....

Did you even THINK to draw a diagram of how the OLD outlet was wired? Seems
obvious that you haven't a clue how it was wired. Was the white on the side
of the outlet with the silver screws and the black and red on the side with
the brass screws. each on it's own screw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:37:58 -0500, "Mark" wrote:

"tim birr" wrote in message
[...]

The new outlet has a piece of metal that ties the two sockets
together. If you have separate wires (black and red) going to each
individual outlet, you need to break that tab off on the black/red
side of the outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:
"tim birr" wrote in message
[...]

He wired it exactly like the original. The problem isn't in his wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 8:37*pm, "Mark" wrote:
"tim birr" wrote in message

[...]

the brass screws. each on it's own screw?- Hide quoted text -

Suppose the OP was among the 10% of males who are color-blind, he
couldn't tell the difference between the gold and silver screws. He
could probably tell the difference between red, black and white wires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Which reminds me of something I was curious about - I've seen in older
houses (predating grounded wiring) some duplex receps that have two
vertical slots, like a modern NEMA 5-15R without the ground pin, but
also a horizontal slot for *both* the hot and neutral side. Not knowing
the proper name/designation of these I can't find a pic, but hopefully
someone knows what I'm talking about. What was the purpose of the two
horizontal slots?

I've always heard them called "T-slots". At least about 20 years ago
they were available and used for replacements on ungrounded circuits.

Never heard what the function of the horizontal slots was. Was there a
real old 115V plug configuration with both slots horizontal? I never
tried, but I suspect the horizontal slots are not wide enough (long
direction) for a 220V plug.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical switch -- color vision??

I can't remember the stats, but it's something like 8% have
red green color blind problems, some percent are "shades of
grey" color blind, maybe 1%.

I'm in the third category. I've got three what I call "color
groups". Often I can't tell blue or purple. And often I
can't tell yellow or orange. And often I have trouble with
red, green, and brown. I've learned to carry red acetate on
heating jobs, to help tell colors. And to have someone else
check the colors before I power up equipment.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in
message news:33ae3903-5e8e-498d-a884-

Suppose the OP was among the 10% of males who are
color-blind, he
couldn't tell the difference between the gold and silver
screws. He
could probably tell the difference between red, black and
white wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 6:53*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 26, 8:37*pm, "Mark" wrote:

"tim birr" wrote in message

[...]

OP again...As I thought I mentioned in my original post, all wires
were put in exactly as on the original outlet. Didn't need to draw a
diagram to remember where to put the three (well four with the ground)
wires in relation to the new outlet. Actually, I usually just snap a
digital pix when I do need to replace complicated car wiring, etc.

It was just that crazy copper tab that needed "fixin" LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
HeyBub typed:
Mark wrote:
"tim birr" wrote in message
[...]

Well; worked before the rewire, doesn't work after the rewire. Whatever was
done was botched somehow. Could have been simply a wire-stressed switch that
quit working and once the stress was relieved by taking the wires off and
putting them back, the switch could work. But the wires don't seem to have
been put back properly. I've seen cheap switches that wouldn't work if the
wires stressed them just right, as in twisting the outlet, which ends up
straight because of the screws holding it in.

Because of the "red" wire and the outlet controls, I'm wondering if this
isn't actually a 3-way switch? In which case not putting the wires back
properly would cause the same problem described. Right?

Pretty hard to see it very clearly from hereG.

Twayne

Cats land on their feet.
but Toast lands PB side down;
A cat glued to some jelly toast will
hover in quantum indecision forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you posted your answer 11 years ago...wow...and, it helped me. you answered my problem

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...lp-414591-.htm