Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Default Looking for a longer lasting celing fan light switch

Every two years or so I have to replace the ceiling fan light switch.
Failed to work properly once this past week. Thus, I think it's time for a
replacement.

It's a cheap enough part. It just doesn't make sense to me that I have to
go to Sears every two years and repeat the process. Are their better
quality switches out there? Where would I look?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Do you have local electrical supply store? I used to do this; my kids
were hell on them, jumping off bed and grabbing pull chain. Seem to
recall that the replacement ones I got at elec store were better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:
Every two years or so I have to replace the ceiling fan light switch.
Failed to work properly once this past week. Thus, I think it's time for a
replacement.

It's a cheap enough part. It just doesn't make sense to me that I have to
go to Sears every two years and repeat the process. Are their better
quality switches out there? Where would I look?

I assume you mean the pull chain switch, not a wall switch.
I've never seen a pull chain switch that wasn't obviously crap.
As I posted elsewhere today..... go with a wireless remote, made for
ceiling fans. If I could fit it in my budget, anybody can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Charlie S. wrote:
Every two years or so I have to replace the ceiling fan light switch.
Failed to work properly once this past week. Thus, I think it's time for
replacement.

It's a cheap enough part. It just doesn't make sense to me that I have
go to Sears every two years and repeat the process. Are their better
quality switches out there? Where would I look?

I assume you mean the pull chain switch, not a wall switch.
I've never seen a pull chain switch that wasn't obviously crap.
As I posted elsewhere today..... go with a wireless remote, made for
ceiling fans. If I could fit it in my budget, anybody can.

Curious as to how much they cost and the difficulty in putting them in. I'm
not electrically astute. I can put in a simple switch as it's just a matter
of repeating what's already been done. Would probably have to hire an
electrician.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:
Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

Naw, it was easy. a receiver with 5 wires, two for the AC in, 1 for the
common out, 1 for the light hot, 1 for the fan motor hot. As far as I
can see, all fans of whatever brand come with the fan and light hot
separately wired and connected to the AC hot up at the baseplate, so
just undo 2 wirenuts and put this in with 5 wirenuts included. The guy
who installed the fan ignored the color coding, so my first attempt had
the fan hooked up to the light button and vice versa, so i was
ambitious enough to swap them back. Hardest part was stuffing the
receiver under the cover of the fan baseplate. (fans usually have a
hook inisde the cover, so you can hang them up while you do the wiring;
otherwise it becomes a much more fatiguing task). my remote with the tv
remote built in was like $35 at Home despot. they have less ambitious
kits for less. I'm thinking of getting a bunch and just wiring up every
light in the house with remotes, fan or not.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie S.

Charlie S. wrote:
Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

If you put in this remote can you still use the pull string? Or, does
everything work by the remote after the installation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charlie S. wrote:

Charlie S. wrote:
Charlie S. wrote:
[...]

I actually haven't tried (and I'm not home right now). But... the pull
switch for the light is set on, and the pull switch for the fan is set
to high speed, and the remote controls them, (so presumably it's a
Boolean And, for the computer geeks); i.e. the light is on only if the
pullchain is on and the remote is on, and the fan is at some speed
which is basically the remote speed (low, med, high) times the
pullchain speed.

They also make remotes that replace the wallswitch, rather than being
portable (and losable) if that suits your needs, the trick being that
they can switch the light and fan independently with only one wire
between the switch and fan. I imagine that this would require the
proper receiver to be installed in the fan, as well.