Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for a longer lasting celing fan light switch

Charlie S. wrote:
Charlie S. wrote:
Every two years or so I have to replace the ceiling fan light switch.
Failed to work properly once this past week. Thus, I think it's time for
replacement.

It's a cheap enough part. It just doesn't make sense to me that I have
go to Sears every two years and repeat the process. Are their better
quality switches out there? Where would I look?

I assume you mean the pull chain switch, not a wall switch.
I've never seen a pull chain switch that wasn't obviously crap.
As I posted elsewhere today..... go with a wireless remote, made for
ceiling fans. If I could fit it in my budget, anybody can.

Curious as to how much they cost and the difficulty in putting them in. I'm
not electrically astute. I can put in a simple switch as it's just a matter
of repeating what's already been done. Would probably have to hire an
electrician.

Naw, it was easy. a receiver with 5 wires, two for the AC in, 1 for the
common out, 1 for the light hot, 1 for the fan motor hot. As far as I
can see, all fans of whatever brand come with the fan and light hot
separately wired and connected to the AC hot up at the baseplate, so
just undo 2 wirenuts and put this in with 5 wirenuts included. The guy
who installed the fan ignored the color coding, so my first attempt had
the fan hooked up to the light button and vice versa, so i was
ambitious enough to swap them back. Hardest part was stuffing the
receiver under the cover of the fan baseplate. (fans usually have a
hook inisde the cover, so you can hang them up while you do the wiring;
otherwise it becomes a much more fatiguing task). my remote with the tv
remote built in was like $35 at Home despot. they have less ambitious
kits for less. I'm thinking of getting a bunch and just wiring up every
light in the house with remotes, fan or not.....