Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default threadjack - old receps was Electrical switch -- no longercontrols outlets -- Help??

Nate Nagel wrote:

Which reminds me of something I was curious about - I've seen in older
houses (predating grounded wiring) some duplex receps that have two
vertical slots, like a modern NEMA 5-15R without the ground pin, but
also a horizontal slot for *both* the hot and neutral side. Not knowing
the proper name/designation of these I can't find a pic, but hopefully
someone knows what I'm talking about. What was the purpose of the two
horizontal slots?

I've always heard them called "T-slots". At least about 20 years ago
they were available and used for replacements on ungrounded circuits.

Never heard what the function of the horizontal slots was. Was there a
real old 115V plug configuration with both slots horizontal? I never
tried, but I suspect the horizontal slots are not wide enough (long
direction) for a 220V plug.

--
bud--