Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Crown Molding

From what I read...

Spring angle is 45 and it is narrow enough for my miter saw fence & .

For cutting outside corners the simplest method is cutting it in-position (at a 45 against the fence) aka upside down and backwards. This only requires a miter and no bevel. The cut angle is simply 1/2 of the angle. For example, an 85 degree corner gets a 47.5 miter cut with no bevel.

Is this oversimplified and I'm missing something?

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-or...d2ef9d0c1f8af2

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-...d2ef9d0c1f8af2
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oops! Sorry about the bad word wrap.

From what I read...

Spring angle is 45 and it is narrow enough for my miter saw fence & .

For cutting outside corners the simplest method is cutting it
in-position (at a 45 against the fence) aka upside down and backwards.
This only requires a miter and no bevel. The cut angle is simply 1/2 of
the angle. For example, an 85 degree corner gets a 47.5 miter cut with
no bevel.

Is this oversimplified and I'm missing something?

Wish I could find one of these locally. No woodworking shops around!

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-or...d2ef9d0c1f8af2

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-...d2ef9d0c1f8af2

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
From what I read...

Spring angle is 45 and it is narrow enough for my miter saw fence & .

For cutting outside corners the simplest method is cutting it in-position
(at a 45 against the fence) aka upside down and backwards. This only
requires a miter and no bevel. The cut angle is simply 1/2 of the angle.
For example, an 85 degree corner gets a 47.5 miter cut with no bevel.

Is this oversimplified and I'm missing something?

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-or...d2ef9d0c1f8af2

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-...d2ef9d0c1f8af2

RED Pull up rec.woodworking Lots of helpers on that site. Warren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 19:40:45 -0600, Red Green
wrote:

Oops! Sorry about the bad word wrap.

From what I read...

Spring angle is 45 and it is narrow enough for my miter saw fence & .

For cutting outside corners the simplest method is cutting it
in-position (at a 45 against the fence) aka upside down and backwards.
This only requires a miter and no bevel. The cut angle is simply 1/2 of
the angle. For example, an 85 degree corner gets a 47.5 miter cut with
no bevel.

Is this oversimplified and I'm missing something?

Not all Crown has the same Spring angle - just sayin' "check it" and
made certain.

Snoop around here for some DIY help I've used. (Sold at HD)

http://www.compoundmiter.com/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in news:tli5j5d3kmbmv4q4r9bnchdf9oihe20a2r@
4ax.com:

wrote:

Oops! Sorry about the bad word wrap.

From what I read...

Spring angle is 45 and it is narrow enough for my miter saw fence & .

For cutting outside corners the simplest method is cutting it
in-position (at a 45 against the fence) aka upside down and backwards.
This only requires a miter and no bevel. The cut angle is simply 1/2 of
the angle. For example, an 85 degree corner gets a 47.5 miter cut with
no bevel.

Is this oversimplified and I'm missing something?

Not all Crown has the same Spring angle - just sayin' "check it" and
made certain.

Snoop around here for some DIY help I've used. (Sold at HD)

http://www.compoundmiter.com/index.html

I've seen that book there often. Don't know about the plastic angle tool
though. Never really looked. I'll snoop HD online to see if I can find
it. Of course, everything they have is not online.

Thanks for the reply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
From what I read...

Spring angle is 45 and it is narrow enough for my miter saw fence & .

For cutting outside corners the simplest method is cutting it
in-position (at a 45 against the fence) aka upside down and
backwards. This only requires a miter and no bevel. The cut angle is
simply 1/2 of the angle. For example, an 85 degree corner gets a 47.5
miter cut with no bevel.

Is this oversimplified and I'm missing something?

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-or...%AE-p-90.html?
zenid=63c07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-...ml?zenid=63c07
aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2

RED Pull up rec.woodworking Lots of helpers on that site.
Warren

Sounds like an option. Thanks.

Just thought I'd give the locals a chance to beat on me first :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote:

Wish I could find one of these locally. No woodworking shops around!

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-or...d2ef9d0c1f8af2

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-...d2ef9d0c1f8af2

Got a community/college/university near you? Try their bookstore.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:

Wish I could find one of these locally. No woodworking shops around!

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/the-or...%AE-p-90.html?
zenid=63c07aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2

http://quintgraphics.net/cart/miter-...ml?zenid=63c07
aadd491d47404d2ef9d0c1f8af2

Got a community/college/university near you? Try their bookstore.

Jon

Found a bunch of stuff online Jon. Was just looking for a sanity check to
see if I understood it right. Thanks.

Crown molding cut, 70* Cut how? evodawg Home Repair 8 December 2nd 06 05:02 AM
Crown molding Kenny Goss Home Repair 2 December 1st 06 04:23 PM
Cutting Crown molding with 135 degree angle wall Steven Home Repair 6 July 5th 06 12:22 PM
Crown Molding Cutting Jig?! $$$$$ Jay Pique Woodworking 2 February 3rd 06 12:07 AM
How to cut crown molding? Key Bored Woodworking 5 November 28th 04 05:43 PM