Key Bored

Default How to cut crown molding?

Hi All,

I'm installing 5-1/4" crown molding on my ceiling. I understand that the
best method for cutting miters (at the corners of the room) is to place the
molding in the miter saw in the position that it will be installed, except
that the molding is turned upside down. However, since the vertical leg of
the miter for 5-1/4" crown molding is approximately 4-1/4", the molding
won't fit into my miter saw. My saw blade is 10" and I've got less than 4"
clearance between the table surface and the underside of the saw motor. I
suppose I could make a custom miter box and make the cuts with a handsaw,
but I've got a lot of cuts to be made.

Instead, I want to lay the molding flat onto the bed of the miter saw (good
side facing up) and make a compound cut consisting of a miter cut and a
bevel cut. What is the angle of the miter (I know it's not 45 degrees), and
what is the angle of the bevel?

Thanx,
Key Bored

Allyn Vaughn

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:15:18 -0800, "Key Bored"
wrote:

Hi All,

snip

Instead, I want to lay the molding flat onto the bed of the miter saw (good
side facing up) and make a compound cut consisting of a miter cut and a
bevel cut. What is the angle of the miter (I know it's not 45 degrees), and
what is the angle of the bevel?

Thanx,
Key Bored

Here is a link to an article on DeWalt's site I found useful in doing
my molding. Just remember, that these are precise angles for precise
corners. Never found a precise corner in my whole house!

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/article.asp?ID=2

Allyn
Scott

http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/p...2Cdept%5Fid%3D

The book listed above helped me when I installed CM in my home. Just in
case the link does not work, it is "Crown Molding and Trim" by Wayne Drake.
He pushes his angle tool in the book, but it is still very helpful even if
you don't use the angle tool. The best tip I took out of it is to cut your
self some small templates and label them. Then next time you have to cut a
right inside for example, you hold up the template and adjust your saw.

Hope it helps.
Scott T

k.net...
"Key Bored" wrote in message
[...]

BeerBoy

The current issue of Workbench magazine (Issue #286 - December) has an
excellent article on installing crown moulding.

Here's a little how to that has a chart at the bottom with all the bevel and
miter angles.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...odworking&ID=2