Key Bored

Default How to cut crown molding?

Hi All,

I'm installing 5-1/4" crown molding on my ceiling. I understand that the
best method for cutting miters (at the corners of the room) is to place the
molding in the miter saw in the position that it will be installed, except
that the molding is turned upside down. However, since the vertical leg of
the miter for 5-1/4" crown molding is approximately 4-1/4", the molding
won't fit into my miter saw. My saw blade is 10" and I've got less than 4"
clearance between the table surface and the underside of the saw motor. I
suppose I could make a custom miter box and make the cuts with a handsaw,
but I've got a lot of cuts to be made.

Instead, I want to lay the molding flat onto the bed of the miter saw (good
side facing up) and make a compound cut consisting of a miter cut and a
bevel cut. What is the angle of the miter (I know it's not 45 degrees), and
what is the angle of the bevel?

Thanx,
Key Bored