Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Torchieres & CFLs

I was perusing (actually interviewing) torchieres (floor lamps) at Lowe's
yesterday. All the non-halogen models had tags saying "Required -
incandescent bulb(s)" followed by recommended wattage. These lamps had
normal screw-in bulb sockets, and most did not have dimmers or 3-way
switches. The packaging said nothing about using CFLs. The bulbs face up and
there are no shades above the bulbs. Is there some reason I can't use CFLs
with these lamps, or is this information just an omission from the labeling?

I asked one of the "experts", who drooled and went to find an invisible
manager, who was probably getting a lap dance in his office. Nobody ever
returned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Grumpy" wrote in message
what is the CFLs

Canadian Football League

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:
I was perusing (actually interviewing) torchieres (floor lamps) at Lowe's
yesterday. All the non-halogen models had tags saying "Required -
incandescent bulb(s)" followed by recommended wattage. These lamps had
normal screw-in bulb sockets, and most did not have dimmers or 3-way
switches. The packaging said nothing about using CFLs. The bulbs face up and
there are no shades above the bulbs. Is there some reason I can't use CFLs
with these lamps, or is this information just an omission from the labeling?

I asked one of the "experts", who drooled and went to find an invisible
manager, who was probably getting a lap dance in his office. Nobody ever
returned.

Because they look like the old torchieres, they are telling you that
they don't need the tube type bulbs that set fire to the house when they
are close to flammable material. CFLs should work.
I have 3 of the tube type and my house is still standing.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 12:06*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
I was perusing (actually interviewing) torchieres (floor lamps) at Lowe's
yesterday. All the non-halogen models had tags saying "Required -
incandescent bulb(s)" followed by recommended wattage. These lamps had
normal screw-in bulb sockets, and most did not have dimmers or 3-way
switches. The packaging said nothing about using CFLs. The bulbs face up and
there are no shades above the bulbs. Is there some reason I can't use CFLs
with these lamps, or is this information just an omission from the labeling?

I asked one of the "experts", who drooled and went to find an invisible
manager, who was probably getting a lap dance in his office. Nobody ever
returned.

The reason CFL's won't work in my torchiere is that the taper near the
socket is too tight. It'd interfere with a bulky bottomed CFL.

But that's OK, I refuse to use CFL's in open lighting indoors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shoks now I am confused for moment I was thinking
of C--k foot long

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Grumpy" wrote in message
what is the CFLs

Canadian Football League

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shucks now I am confused for moment I was thinking
of C--k foot long

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Grumpy" wrote in message
what is the CFLs

Canadian Football League

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

What I don't get is why would somebody with such disdain for Lowes even shop
there...Or is this just another bash Big Boxes and Chineses stuff
thread.....I'm no "expert" but I would have checked the manufacturer's
website or called them....I wonder who is doing the drooling ??? LOL.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

You raise some interesting points. I have a choice to make for the lamp in
this particular room:

1) Buy Chinese product at Lowe's

2) Buy Chinese product at electrical supply place (which I love) for three
times the price

3) Buy Chinese product at boutique lighting store for ten times the price

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote the following:

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I don't 'disdain' Lowes or HD. When I go there, I know what I want, and
I don't need any help from 'associates', unless what I need is not on
the shelf, but in a new box on the top of the shelves and there is no
ladder nearby.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

So you know that going in , yet you still found it necessary to belittle
some poor slep working for 10 bucks an hour at Lowes....Does it make you
feel superior ??? Atleast he/she is WORKING and not collecting welfare....If
things get much worse it might be me working at Lowes...LOL...Maybe it's
just me , but when I see someone a little less fortunate then me I think ,
"There but for the grace of God go I." Others seem to find it necessery to
put them down to try to raise themselves up....Sad really...JMHO....

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
[...]

Yours probably have dimmers too?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

When an employee says he's going to get a manager and never returns, then
yes, I belittle him. Mediocrity has nothing to do with how much you're paid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2009 12:06, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I was perusing (actually interviewing) torchieres (floor lamps) at Lowe's
yesterday. All the non-halogen models had tags saying "Required -
incandescent bulb(s)" followed by recommended wattage. These lamps had
normal screw-in bulb sockets, and most did not have dimmers or 3-way
switches. The packaging said nothing about using CFLs. The bulbs face up and
there are no shades above the bulbs. Is there some reason I can't use CFLs
with these lamps, or is this information just an omission from the labeling?

If the lamp has an on/off switch (with or without a dimmer) that uses
something other than discrete contacts, it may not work with CFLs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On 12/21/2009 12:06, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I was perusing (actually interviewing) torchieres (floor lamps) at Lowe's
yesterday. All the non-halogen models had tags saying "Required -
incandescent bulb(s)" followed by recommended wattage. These lamps had
normal screw-in bulb sockets, and most did not have dimmers or 3-way
switches. The packaging said nothing about using CFLs. The bulbs face
up and
there are no shades above the bulbs. Is there some reason I can't use
CFLs
with these lamps, or is this information just an omission from the
labeling?

If the lamp has an on/off switch (with or without a dimmer) that uses
something other than discrete contacts, it may not work with CFLs.

I bought a torchiere lamp at HD. It
contained a little box in line with the
power cord which is supposed to prevent
over current ... whatever that
means. I understand "over current"
however what for? Maybe to prevent
putting too large a lamp in the socket.
It is a standard screw in socket.
I have been using the lamp with a CFL
for some time now without
problems. It is not a dimable lamp and
does not interfere with the socket
base. The in line box appears to have
some electronic circuits in it. I
was tempted to just plain remove it as
it is a nuisance as there is an
on/off switch on the box which gets
bumped accidentally by such things
as the vacuum, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

That's probably because you don't see the big picture....You weren't the
only customer in the store nor were you the most important customer in the
store though you might disagree...I'm sure he went to the manager who was
already busy with somebody else or he might have been intercepted by another
customer on his way to you...Who knows...He may have been on the other side
of the store which would take a few to get to where you were...Or maybe like
me he thought ..why don't he visit the manufactures website or call them
considering even the manager isn't gonna know more about the product than
the instructions give which you read....I doubt he would recomend a bulb not
listed on the box....Oh , you never mentioned how long you waited...NEVER is
a long time????

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

"benick" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Let's make this easy for you: If I say the employee was wrong, then he was
wrong. Your opinion has as much value as a used kleenex in my trash can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
. ..

"benick" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in message
. ..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Ahhh...Now your true colors are showing...Maybe the employee did think to
himself "what an a-hole and walked away thinking F him....LOL...Thanks for
playing though.....LOL...

dimmable CFLs? Nate Nagel Home Repair 19 September 2nd 09 01:08 AM
CFLs Dave UK diy 7 August 12th 09 09:25 AM
CFLs....again No Name Home Repair 14 May 13th 09 12:05 PM
Bit OT. CFLs revisited. Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 69 January 18th 08 12:59 AM
CFLs Home Repair 1 January 15th 07 06:22 AM