Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_37_] Bob[_37_] is offline

Default Torchieres & CFLs

On 12/21/2009 12:06, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
I was perusing (actually interviewing) torchieres (floor lamps) at Lowe's
yesterday. All the non-halogen models had tags saying "Required -
incandescent bulb(s)" followed by recommended wattage. These lamps had
normal screw-in bulb sockets, and most did not have dimmers or 3-way
switches. The packaging said nothing about using CFLs. The bulbs face up and
there are no shades above the bulbs. Is there some reason I can't use CFLs
with these lamps, or is this information just an omission from the labeling?

If the lamp has an on/off switch (with or without a dimmer) that uses
something other than discrete contacts, it may not work with CFLs.