Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFLs

I went into Lidl today and they are selling 60 and 70 Watt CFLs for 39
pence each, or 5 for 50 pence. They are in a box with British Gas marked
on it. Are they any good for anything?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave writes:
I went into Lidl today and they are selling 60 and 70 Watt CFLs for 39

I presume that's 60 and 70 Watt _equivalent_ CFLs?
(which in reality will be nearer 45W and 55W equivalents).

pence each, or 5 for 50 pence. They are in a box with British Gas marked
on it. Are they any good for anything?

Probably about right for a bedside table light, or other decorative
light. If you have a fitting which takes multiple lamps, sometimes
multiple of these low power ones result in enough light in some
situations.

I have boxes of similar things which came through the post.
Mostly, they're far too low wattage to be useful - it's difficult
to find any use for CFL retrofits 20W IME. You need 23-25W to
replace a 100W bulb. Costco is the only place I've found which
sells CFL's with honest equivalency ratings on the packet (the
make is Feit, which is more widely known in the US than here).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I have boxes of similar things which came through the post.
Mostly, they're far too low wattage to be useful - it's difficult
to find any use for CFL retrofits 20W IME. You need 23-25W to
replace a 100W bulb.

TCL had some nice ES ones at 35 watt but I think he said they were 30 quid
each!

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Dave writes:
I went into Lidl today and they are selling 60 and 70 Watt CFLs for 39

I presume that's 60 and 70 Watt _equivalent_ CFLs?
(which in reality will be nearer 45W and 55W equivalents).

In that case, I'll leave well alone.

Thanks

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:41:36 +0100, andrew wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I have boxes of similar things which came through the post.
Mostly, they're far too low wattage to be useful - it's difficult
to find any use for CFL retrofits 20W IME. You need 23-25W to
replace a 100W bulb.

TCL had some nice ES ones at 35 watt but I think he said they were 30 quid
each!

AJH

Morrisons have Status 30W at about £.something; good output and about
0.98PF.
The 11W Philips in the hall is brighter than the 60W GLS that was in there
- very surprising. I've a couple of 20W Philips in place of 100W GLS and
they seem to be 75W.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
andrew writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I have boxes of similar things which came through the post.
Mostly, they're far too low wattage to be useful - it's difficult
to find any use for CFL retrofits 20W IME. You need 23-25W to
replace a 100W bulb.

TCL had some nice ES ones at 35 watt but I think he said they were 30 quid
each!

I have a 30W ES one which came from Homebase some years ago,
which I think was under £10 (just). I bought it as a prop for
a presentation -- I don't actually have a use for it (or to be
more precise, I don't have any light fitting that it would fit
into).

--
Andrew Gabriel

CFLs....again No Name Home Repair 14 May 13th 09 12:05 PM
CFLs and UHF interference Andy Champ UK diy 358 June 22nd 08 11:06 PM
CFLs - switching on and off [email protected] UK diy 60 August 21st 07 12:19 PM
CFLs - switching on and off [email protected] Home Repair 59 August 21st 07 12:19 PM
CFLs Home Repair 1 January 15th 07 06:22 AM