Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default CFLs....again

I was reading a newspaper article comparing
prices at TARGET and WalMart stores.

They cited GE brand CFL's.
Though packaged identically,
the TARGET bulbs are waranteed for 10,000 hours,
while the WalMart units are waranteed for 6,000 hours.

I haven't gone to my TARGET to check it out,
but it would be interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do the ones at Wally World cost less?

Maybe the manufacturer packages the exact same bulbs with a shorter
warranty to save on overall cost (cost of replacing failed bulbs) and
sells them to WMart at a lower price?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 1:39*pm, "RJ" wrote:
I was reading a newspaper article comparing
prices at TARGET and WalMart stores.

They cited GE brand CFL's.
Though packaged identically,
the TARGET bulbs are waranteed for 10,000 hours,
while the WalMart units are waranteed for 6,000 hours.

I haven't gone to my TARGET to check it out,
but it would be interesting.

Strange, I usually find the wal Mart merchandise to have a higher
quality to value ratio and better selection than Target, especially in
clothes and food. I've never had a CFL last as long as they say they
do anyway, and returning them is more hassle than its worth. I bought
9 expensive dimmable large PAR floods and all died within 8 mos, while
the old halogens next to them are going on 8 years, go figure. Those
I did return and felt like I was being waterboarded for doing so. The
new dimmable CFL's dont last very long at all from my experience, not
good if most of your wall switches are dimmers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ wrote:
I was reading a newspaper article comparing
prices at TARGET and WalMart stores.

They cited GE brand CFL's.
Though packaged identically,
the TARGET bulbs are waranteed for 10,000 hours,
while the WalMart units are waranteed for 6,000 hours.

I haven't gone to my TARGET to check it out,
but it would be interesting.

I bet they have different item numbers so they cab claim they are not
"identical".
BTW WalMart has a house brand that is a lot cheaper than GE.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2009 12:48 PM RickH spake thus:

On May 7, 1:39 pm, "RJ" wrote:

I was reading a newspaper article comparing
prices at TARGET and WalMart stores.

They cited GE brand CFL's.
Though packaged identically,
the TARGET bulbs are waranteed for 10,000 hours,
while the WalMart units are waranteed for 6,000 hours.

I haven't gone to my TARGET to check it out,
but it would be interesting.

I've never had a CFL last as long as they say they do anyway, and
returning them is more hassle than its worth. I bought 9 expensive
dimmable large PAR floods and all died within 8 mos, while the old
halogens next to them are going on 8 years, go figure.

I don't know why, but for some reason CFL floodlamps always seem to die
young. Anyone know why this might be? Heat?

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 1:39 pm, "RJ" wrote:

I was reading a newspaper article comparing
prices at TARGET and WalMart stores.

They cited GE brand CFL's.
Though packaged identically,
the TARGET bulbs are waranteed for 10,000 hours,
while the WalMart units are waranteed for 6,000 hours.

I haven't gone to my TARGET to check it out,
but it would be interesting.

I've never had a CFL last as long as they say they do anyway, and
returning them is more hassle than its worth. I bought 9 expensive
dimmable large PAR floods and all died within 8 mos, while the old
halogens next to them are going on 8 years, go figure.

I don't know why, but for some reason CFL floodlamps always seem to die
young. Anyone know why this might be? Heat?

My Vision CFLs crapped out way too soon. Now trying
GE.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
RickH wrote in part:

I've never had a CFL last as long as they say they
do anyway, and returning them is more hassle than its worth. I bought
9 expensive dimmable large PAR floods and all died within 8 mos, while
the old halogens next to them are going on 8 years, go figure. Those
I did return and felt like I was being waterboarded for doing so. The
new dimmable CFL's dont last very long at all from my experience, not
good if most of your wall switches are dimmers.

Are you using the CFLs in small enclosed fixtures or recessed ceiling
fixtures? Such fixtures build up heat, which CFLs do not like.

Meanwhile, CFLs tend to last longer if:

* They are of "Big 3" brand (GE, Philips or Sylvania) or they have the
Energy Star logo

* Only ones 23 watts or less are used base-up or in moderately small
enclosed fixtures, and only ones 14 watts or less are used in small
enclosed fixtures.

* Reflector flood types used in recessed ceiling fixtures are rated
specifically for use in recessed ceiling fixtures.

If you are having recessed ceiling fixtures installed and they will be
using CFLs, things work better if the fixtures are ones with ballasts and
take ballastless CFLs that have pins rather than screw bases.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Klipstein" wrote in message
In ,
RickH wrote in part:

[...]

I have over 70 CFL's installed and have just lost the second one in 7 years.
It was in a water closet area and was cycled on/of about 10 times per day.
The first one , in the basement and continous on, failed after about 5
years. I also have 4 of the pin type in recessecd cans and have had one
failure in about 3 years. Just too many variables to accurately predict
life. I have an incandescent in the pantry that is 15 years old and is
cycled about 3 times per day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote in part:

[...]

What brand of CFLs do you use? I have a few that have lasted for several
years, but at this point I would guess that I'm experiencing ~50% failure
within one year. It seems that those that survive the first year last for
several years after that. High infant mortality, and the rest live into old
age.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote in part:

[...]

G.E., Sylvania, TD, and n:vision. Most are the n:vision brand that I
purchased @ the Big Orange Box. They had a sale years ago and 60W= were
n:vision at 4 for $1.85 and the 100W= were G.E. at 2 for $2.79 so I stocked
up. Still have about 20 unused. The Sylvania are bug lights used in the post
lights and outdoor brackets. I think where I got the 2-13W= TD brands was a
promotion by the co-op.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 4:39*pm, "RJ" wrote:
I was reading a newspaper article comparing
prices at TARGET and WalMart stores.

They cited GE brand CFL's.
Though packaged identically,
the TARGET bulbs are waranteed for 10,000 hours,
while the WalMart units are waranteed for 6,000 hours.

I haven't gone to my TARGET to check it out,
but it would be interesting.

Is that not the same as buying, say, a car battery?????
Brand X is, say, cheapest at say $50. Only warranty is 30 days and you
have to fight the retailer to get that!
Brand Y is, say more expensive at $80 and has a 3 year graduated
warranty based on remaining life.
Brand Z is say, most expensive at $100. But has a 5 year unlimited
warranty; if anything at all goes wrong they will replace it without
question for the remainder of the original five years.
Brand W cost $120 and they will replace it for another full five years
if it fails for any reason during the full five years! They may insist
that you have 'A charging sytem check-up' at your cost of $20!!!!
Which mainly involves testing the charging voltage of your alternator!
If certain batteries encounter problems in a particular zone/area
let's say, Alaska, due to low temperatures or Florida due to high
temperatures the supplier 'modifies' the warranty conditions for that
zone only!
Same battery in each case? But supplier covers their costs against
likelihood of failure or replacement?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 4:07*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,
RickH wrote in part:

[...]

Yes, standard 6 inch insulation contact rated cans with thermal switch
(which didn't overheat).
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote in part:

[...]

cycled about 3 times per day.- Hide quoted text -

I think it has something to do with this being the new "dimmable"
CFL's on a standard 1000 watt slow-start triac dimmer. These
dimmable CFL's did not last, the dimming was pretty crappy too, only
the top 30% of the dimmer range seemed to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote in part:

I've never had a CFL last as long as they say they
do anyway, and returning them is more hassle than its worth. *I bought
9 expensive dimmable large PAR floods and all died within 8 mos, while
the old halogens next to them are going on 8 years, go figure. *Those
I did return and felt like I was being waterboarded for doing so. *The
new dimmable CFL's dont last very long at all from my experience, not
good if most of your wall switches are dimmers.

* Are you using the CFLs in small enclosed fixtures or recessed ceiling
fixtures? *Such fixtures build up heat, which CFLs do not like.

* Meanwhile, CFLs tend to last longer if:

Stuff that I already said

* If you are having recessed ceiling fixtures installed and they will be
using CFLs, things work better if the fixtures are ones with ballasts and
take ballastless CFLs that have pins rather than screw bases.

*- Don Klipstein )

Yes, standard 6 inch insulation contact rated cans with thermal switch
(which didn't overheat).

Is the thermal switch merely designed to prevent fire hazards and
overheating of the fixturer as a whole, while being insufficient to
prevent overheating of a screw-base integral-ballast CFL, since that
degree of thermal protection may cause a CFL to "take time off" for a
couple minutes a few times an hour, if the temperature threshold for the
thermal protection also disfavors use of incandescents producing same or
better illumination than the CFL does.

A CFL can fail to survive heat buildup in a recessed ceiling fixture
even if the temperature that kills the CFL is not a problem for the
fixture or an incandescent lightbulb. This CFL problem is less of a
problem if the recessed ceiling fixture has a ballast as part of being
designed for ballastless (which tend to be pin-base) CFLs.

- Don Klipstein )
Posted to alt.home.repair

CLIP
- Don Klipstein )

I have over 70 CFL's installed and have just lost the second one
in 7 years. It was in a water closet area and was cycled on/of
about 10 times per day. The first one , in the basement and
continous on, failed after about 5 years. I also have 4 of the pin
type in recessecd cans and have had one failure in about 3 years.
Just too many variables to accurately predict life. I have an
incandescent in the pantry that is 15 years old and is cycled
about 3 times per day.

Use them if you want, I have no problem, but please allow me the
"freedom" to not use them, and to use incandescent. We don't need
our government to tell us what light bulb we HAVE to use.

Bob-tx