Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wover-wire / field fencing -- is Redbrand worth the extra

Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

kansascats wrote:
Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

Gauge and purpose????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 10:55*am, kansascats wrote:
Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

I get $30 difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 1:21*pm, dpb wrote:
hr(bob) wrote:
On Dec 16, 10:55 am, kansascats wrote:
Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

I get $30 difference.

Neglecting the discount...

--

The ones in comparison are 11ga.

The purpose is to contain goats and later horses. There is 5 strand
barbwire on 2 sides of the area now. So we either want to add some
strands there or enclose the entire are with 4" or 6" square woven
wire fence.

Yes, after discount, the OK brand will be $200 for 330' roll vs $250
for Redbrand (both 11ga).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"kansascats" wrote in message

The purpose is to contain goats and later horses. There is 5 strand
barbwire on 2 sides of the area now. So we either want to add some
strands there or enclose the entire are with 4" or 6" square woven
wire fence.

Yes, after discount, the OK brand will be $200 for 330' roll vs $250
for Redbrand (both 11ga).

4" woven wire is dangerous for horses. To easy to get a foot through and
then break a leg.

Either will outlast the goats.

Compare the degree of galvanization. The weight of the plate if you prefer
that term. For so little difference in price I suspect the extra $30 is
going for advertising.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 10:15*am, dpb wrote:
kansascats wrote:
Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

Gauge and purpose????

--

where are two two items manufactured? If one is US and the other
china......

service environment? If one has heavier galvanize then it might make
a difference

can you see or feel any differences?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

kansascats wrote:
Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

I see you mentioned horses and goats further down the thread.
Barbed wire fencing and horses are supposedly a bad combination. Horses
have a thinner hide than cattle and could get cut up if they bolt for
some reason and get tangled.
We had ponies and an odd horse or two and never had any problems but
I guess it could happen. The horses usually ran with the cattle.
Another solution could be the electric fencing tape. Tractor Supply
does have some.
I'll put this on the misc.rural group. There should be a couple
people there with better first hand knowledge.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

In article , (Dean
Hoffman) says...
kansascats wrote:
Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

Woven wire fence will last longer than you will. Fence longevity is
much more dependent on workmanship in building the fence than on the
brand of the wire. The corners need to be well braced diagonally, and
the fencing needs to be stretched really tight. Staple one corner
firmly, then staple the other end to a 2x4 sandwich and use a 1 ton
comealong and chains to stretch the wire tight. Hook the comealong to a
convenient tree, or at the least a pickup bumper if there is no
convenient tree. Then start at the first corner stapling posts toward
the comealong, tightening the wire if any slack starts to develop as you
pick up the sag.

Goats will climb right over or under woven wire, so you need to have an
electric standoff tape at the top, and probably at the bottom of the
fence. Electric tape at the top will also keep horses from reaching
over the fence and breaking it down.

I see you mentioned horses and goats further down the thread.
Barbed wire fencing and horses are supposedly a bad combination. Horses
have a thinner hide than cattle and could get cut up if they bolt for
some reason and get tangled.
We had ponies and an odd horse or two and never had any problems but
I guess it could happen. The horses usually ran with the cattle.
Another solution could be the electric fencing tape. Tractor Supply
does have some.
I'll put this on the misc.rural group. There should be a couple
people there with better first hand knowledge.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Larry Caldwell wrote:

Dean Hoffman says...
kansascats wrote:
Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

Woven wire fence will last longer than you will. Fence longevity is
much more dependent on workmanship in building the fence than on the
brand of the wire. The corners need to be well braced diagonally, and
the fencing needs to be stretched really tight. Staple one corner
firmly, then staple the other end to a 2x4 sandwich and use a 1 ton
comealong and chains to stretch the wire tight. Hook the comealong to a
convenient tree, or at the least a pickup bumper if there is no
convenient tree. Then start at the first corner stapling posts toward
the comealong, tightening the wire if any slack starts to develop as you
pick up the sag.

that's a good fence construction technique. seen it done and it
worked well to produce an attractive fence as well as one that lasted.

Goats will climb right over or under woven wire, so you need to have an
electric standoff tape at the top, and probably at the bottom of the
fence. Electric tape at the top will also keep horses from reaching
over the fence and breaking it down.

I see you mentioned horses and goats further down the thread.

[....]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Yeah, I read recently the idea of a strand or 2 of barbwire at the top
to help keep what's in - in, and what's out - out. In my case that
will be goats/horses and cattle on the other side. The point about
4" being bad for horses --- does that imply 6" is better?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 08:55:24 -0800 (PST), kansascats
wrote:

Local TSC has Redbrand 4" for 249/roll.
Another store has OK brand 4" for 219/roll (plus a 10% discount for
kid's 4H).

Is $50/roll justified for Red?

Find out what the tensile strength of each is. a soft wire will
stretch if something leans against it. Then you have a loose fence. I
have some 25 year old Redbrand that is dull but not rusted.

You say it is 11 gauge. Is that 11 top and bottom wires and the field
is 14 or is it the 9 top and bottom and the field is 11?

If you plan on goats, get ONLY 12" vertical stays. Otherwise you will
have goats hung up all athe time. With 12", they can turn their heads
sideways and get out. Definitely put a hot wire on top or horses from
both sides will walk it down. Horses respect nothing except pipe and
hot wires. I've had them walk down 1/4" welded wire panels.

Whether using wood or T posts, put a barb wire right on the ground to
help stop dogs from digging under. Then set the woven down to the
ground also.

With 65 years of livestock experience, I've never seen a goat climb
over a fence. They will stand up with their front feet on it to reach
browse.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"kansascats" wrote in message

The point about 4" being bad for horses --- does that imply 6" is better?

Smaller is better if you need to use wire for horses. 2x4, 2x3 or that
triangle woven one whose name or brand I do not recall.

I see that triangle weave used quite often with a top board on production
horse farms.

The top board is a nice safety feature since as I understand it they can't
see the wire as well as other animals. It also offers some smash protection
to the wire fence.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Colbyt wrote:
"kansascats" wrote in message

The point about 4" being bad for horses --- does that imply 6" is better?

Smaller is better if you need to use wire for horses. 2x4, 2x3 or that
triangle woven one whose name or brand I do not recall.

I see that triangle weave used quite often with a top board on production
horse farms.

The top board is a nice safety feature since as I understand it they can't
see the wire as well as other animals. It also offers some smash protection
to the wire fence.

Colbyt

The triangle brand is called Diamond Mesh. It is wonderful horse
fencing, non climb, small enough mesh to keep your animals in and
wildlife out. It is expensive though, If I win the lottery, I will fence
my property with it and use plastic posts and pvc top sight boards all
around..Its on my wish list as one of the safest horse fences available.

I've had three horses electrocuted by my horseguard electric fence over
the past 8 years. They snag a hoof in it and wrap around once while
rolling next to it and wind up jolting out. If you use electric fence
tape with a high break strength you really need to get a fencer that
shuts off after three jolts or you'll be calling the dead stock wagon.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Grizzly" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote:
[...]

Grizzy,

Thanks for posting.

As expensive as you make it sound it has to be cheaper over the long term
than a 3 or 4 board fence?

I just live here, I don't have a horse farm.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Colbyt wrote:
"Grizzly" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote:
[...]

In the configuration I would like to have it would be one of the longest
lasting safest options. Three or four board wood fence looks nice, but
breaks legs and skewers horses sometimes and it must be painted
periodically to keep from rotting away. They also tend to eat wood like
beavers sometimes so the plastic posts and rails would deter that. With
the Diamond mesh if they hit it they bounce off of it. In the long run
it would likely be cheaper than wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Larry Caldwell wrote in
:

Horses have a way of getting wound up in barbed wire, and goats
will ignore it. That's why you should use the white electrical
tape. Horses will run through anything they can't see.

really? my friend with horses (Thoroughbreds)has only hot wire for
the pasture fences, no tape or even the white/yellow wire. the horses
stay put.
i keep my llamas in with one (non-electric) wire at 4' as well in
the winter. the main pasture has 4' high woven wire with a wire on
top around 3 sides & 4 strands of hot wire on the 4th side (to keep
the stupid goats in & the neighborhood dogs out. it doesn't keep
coyotes out.
with the llamas, i think i could use string & they'd stay put. if
they do get out (like when someone forgets to close the gate to the
sugarbush), they just walk around & end up in my backyard. they don't
really go anywhere.
lee

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

It's Redbrand vs OK brand. OK looks to be US made.

The mesh wire is 11 ga and the top/bottom are 9ga.