Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is Tensioning Necessary for Field Fencing with T-Posts?

I want to put up fencing to keep neighbor dogs and coyotes off my
property, but know little about it. I won't be keeping animals inside
- just protecting my cats and garden from predators.

I bought 4' high woven wire field fencing, and 34 six-foot t-posts. My
land is hilly, and the fence will be climbing up and down its entire
length. It is soft dirt in spots, hard clay in others, with no rocks
anywhere I've seen.

Some places say wooden corner braces are unnecessary, that you can
make braces from t-posts using the right widgets. I'm interested in
that, because you wouldn't have to dig post holes. However, no site
describes how to tension this sort of "t-post only" field fence.

Let's say I did install wooden corner braces, and try to tension the
fence. How could I tension that, with the land being as uneven as it
is?

Is tensioning even necesary in this situation? Maybe just rounding the
corners would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 9:27 am, wrote:
Is tensioning even necesary in this situation? Maybe just rounding the
corners would work.

You've got to tension it somehow or it will look like crap and
wouldn't keep out a retarded tumbleweed.

On the corners, you need a total of 5 t-posts to do the "widget"
thing. One in the corner, one about 4' from the corner in each
direction to brace against, and one to run at an angle from the bottom
of the brace post to the top of the corner post. You can use shorter
posts for the brace posts.

Once you construct this structure, you can get a special tool that
hooks the wire, or you can make your own with a 4' 2x4 and a few heavy
hooks screwed into the edge. It doesn't need to be so tight that you
can play a tune; a reasonably strong person can put enough tension on
the fence by pulling on the 2x4.

Tension the fence as you go along, at every transition from flat to a
hill, or a hill back to flat. Again, just tight, not so much that you
can play a chord by dragging your hammer across the wires. You may
want longer posts at the transitions so you can drive them into the
ground farther to prevent pull-out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 7, 7:19 am, wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:27 am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tips! I went out and bought longer posts, so I could
sink them 3 feet into the ground instead of 2 feet, so they won't pull
out. I appreciate your input!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:19:40 -0700, wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:27 am, wrote:
Is tensioning even necesary in this situation? Maybe just rounding the
corners would work.

You've got to tension it somehow or it will look like crap and
wouldn't keep out a retarded tumbleweed.

Exactly.

Once you construct this structure, you can get a special tool that
hooks the wire, or you can make your own with a 4' 2x4 and a few heavy
hooks screwed into the edge.

I tried the "hooks" approach, didn't work for me. I had better luck
with two 2x4's; clamp the wire between them with three bolts thru the
assembly to hold it together. I used a comealong between that and my
pickup to pull the wire tight.

Tension the fence as you go along, at every transition from flat to a
hill, or a hill back to flat.

Yup. It's a pain if you have a lot of grade changes. Especially if
they are short and steep (eg, two feet horiz and one vertical).

Again, just tight, not so much that you
can play a chord by dragging your hammer across the wires. You may
want longer posts at the transitions so you can drive them into the
ground farther to prevent pull-out.

Most woven-wire field fencing has tension indicating bends on the top
strand. Generally I pull it until those are about half straightened.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen?
http://PcScreenWatch.com

fencing [email protected] UK diy 5 December 11th 06 10:37 AM
Distance between posts for 5 x 3 posts and 6ft featheredge the carpet man UK diy 2 March 27th 06 04:21 PM
Fencing Bob Smith UK diy 4 January 9th 04 10:10 AM
fencing Mindwipe UK diy 12 October 31st 03 09:20 AM