Posted to alt.home.repair
sylvan butler[_3_] sylvan butler[_3_] is offline

Default Is Tensioning Necessary for Field Fencing with T-Posts?

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:19:40 -0700, wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:27 am, wrote:
Is tensioning even necesary in this situation? Maybe just rounding the
corners would work.

You've got to tension it somehow or it will look like crap and
wouldn't keep out a retarded tumbleweed.

Exactly.

Once you construct this structure, you can get a special tool that
hooks the wire, or you can make your own with a 4' 2x4 and a few heavy
hooks screwed into the edge.

I tried the "hooks" approach, didn't work for me. I had better luck
with two 2x4's; clamp the wire between them with three bolts thru the
assembly to hold it together. I used a comealong between that and my
pickup to pull the wire tight.

Tension the fence as you go along, at every transition from flat to a
hill, or a hill back to flat.

Yup. It's a pain if you have a lot of grade changes. Especially if
they are short and steep (eg, two feet horiz and one vertical).

Again, just tight, not so much that you
can play a chord by dragging your hammer across the wires. You may
want longer posts at the transitions so you can drive them into the
ground farther to prevent pull-out.

Most woven-wire field fencing has tension indicating bends on the top
strand. Generally I pull it until those are about half straightened.

sdb

--
What's seen on your screen?
http://PcScreenWatch.com