ADC

Default leafguard gutters....worth the extra $$$?

subject says it all...we do have a fair amount of trees...

TIA

tgilb

"ADC" wrote in message
| subject says it all...we do have a fair amount of trees...
|
| TIA

If they're pine trees don't bother.

Bill & Debbie

When I had my home built 8 years ago, I paid the extra money to have
Leafguard gutters installed. I think it was money well spent. Most of the
trees around my house and my neighbors houses are pine trees. My neighbors
have to clean their clogged gutters several times a year. When I see them
doing this, I'm thankful for the decision I made.

Bill

"ADC" wrote in message
subject says it all...we do have a fair amount of trees...

TIA

Rileyesi

I have no personal experience, however, I have heard that they are "hornet
hotels". Apparently, they make excellent housing for wasps.
Art

Have them now for 8 years, work great on pine and hardwoods. Had helmets
added in previous house. Did not work at all. Go with the leafguard brand.

If you have any wierd corners they may say they cannot do it. But a good
installer can hand do just about anything with them. We had a bay that came
out so the roof line was strange. They told me that one section they could
not do. I had regular gutters put up there. Were clogged in a few months.
Called leafguard again and this time I got the guy to try and they have been
great ever since. Probably should get oversized downspouts too if it isn't
standard. It is where I am with the Leafguard contractor.

"ADC" wrote in message
subject says it all...we do have a fair amount of trees...

TIA

Micro Angelo

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from
"ADC" :

subject says it all...we do have a fair amount of trees...

TIA

The LeafGuard product, as with most other cutter "hoods", are grossly
over-priced. That's because the dealer has buy an overpriced dealership
and MUST buy the product from a central source with outrageously high
prices, relatively speaking.

On top of that, they are over-hyped and simply don't do what they claim
to do.

With pine needles, a gutter hood will prevent more needles from entering
the gutter as compared to a mesh product, with caveats. Only a premium
mesh product, by the way, should be considered.

But, here's the rub(s). Even with gutter hoods, some pine needles will
still enter the gutters. The same dynamic that is supposed to cause the
rain water to go over the hood and into the gutter also causes the pine
needle to follow the water into the gutter. With some brands, the
needles will even block the water channel, preventing the rain water
from entering the gutter at all. Then, your gutters are useless. When it
gets to the point that the inside of the gutters need cleaning, good
luck getting in there! No such problem with the screens I use

In my opinion, no product will make your gutters 100 percent maintenance
free. So, in my view, you want a product that performs well, but at a
low cost. In my experience, the product that works the best is Steelco
gutter screens.

I have them on my house, and I have pine trees. The Steelco screens are
the highest quality mesh product I could find, after considerable
research. Some pine needles do get through, but has reduced the overall
problem by 95%. Instead of cleaning my gutters every 6 weeks, now I just
clean them once a year. And that's another thing... cleaning them is a
breeze. I just remove one 3' section of the screen and use my blower to
blow out any debris.

So, far, I think it was the right choice. It's not the perfect solution,
but the price is right. With me doing the install (pretty easy), it was
about $1.15 per foot, or less. This stuff is galvanized steel and, at
this point, should last longer than me!

The Steelco website is www.gutterscreen.net .

Mike
Art

Eight years and our leafguard gutters are completely clean even though we
have pine and hardwoods. When the house was first built one section had
regular gutters. They were filled in 3 months. Had them replaced with
leafguard and like I said, they are completely clean. One trick is
oversized downspouts so if anything gets in it is not going to be there
long.

Price depends on market. In Raleigh they are very expensive but pretty
cheap on Long Island where there are several competing dealers. They are 3
times regular gutters in price.