Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best Over-the-Range Microwave Brands?

1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

I have no opinion on the best brand, but I had to go ahead and say it.
I don't care for over the range microwaves. They are much more
expensive than counter top units, and when they quit they are very
expensive to repair. You can buy a counter top unit for less than
$100, and when it fails you can dispose of it an buy another. In
the 10 or 15 year life of a microwave you will save more than
enough to buy several counter top units.

Just put in a shelf to hold a countertop and save the money.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:

I have no opinion on the best brand, but I had to go ahead and say it.
I don't care for over the range microwaves. They are much more
expensive than counter top units, and when they quit they are very
expensive to repair. You can buy a counter top unit for less than
$100, and when it fails you can dispose of it an buy another. In
the 10 or 15 year life of a microwave you will save more than
enough to buy several counter top units.

Just put in a shelf to hold a countertop and save the money.

I agree in principle - in fact, I think vent hoods look far nicer over a range
than a microwave. The problem is that in smaller kitchens, there usually isn't
enough room to go with a cabinet opening for a microwave.

As to which manufacturer to choose - as long as you stay with one of the major
brands, you should be fine. The deciding factor is usually matching the other
appliances in the kitchen.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 14, 9:22*am, Robert Neville wrote:
BillGill wrote:
[...]

Totally agree with others on this. An over the range MW doesn't do
venting right even if it might do MWing right. Put this down as
another Great American Marketing Fad to put more profit in the
builder's pockets and limited or sometimes no usefulness for the poor
consumer. But they never seem to learn..."Brittany's got one, I want
one, too!"

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

Totally agree with others on this. An over the range MW doesn't do
venting right even if it might do MWing right.

Most over the range microwaves can be installed to vent externally or
recirculate. All you have to do is flip a damper. It's entirely up to the
builder or installer. If they are vented externally, there's no difference
between a microwave doing the vent vs. a vent hood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

They all work the same. More gadgets and more options make them more
expensive. If you think that's better go for it.

Ok thanks for the replies. I read on some model reviews where the unit dies
after 1 or 2 years, yet some other models last for over 10 years. I bought
a used OTR microwave for myself which is a GE made in 2002 and it's still
working fine. That's not a good sample to base a conclusion on I know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Dec 14, 5:49*am, "Ken_W" wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. *Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

My Sharp OTR MW was installed almost 15 yrs ago and is still working
just fine. But then we primarily use it to thaw, warm, & make popcorn
so it doesn't run for long periods of time.

KC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BillGill" wrote in message
Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

I have no opinion on the best brand, but I had to go ahead and say it.
I don't care for over the range microwaves. They are much more
expensive than counter top units, and when they quit they are very
expensive to repair. You can buy a counter top unit for less than
$100, and when it fails you can dispose of it an buy another. In
the 10 or 15 year life of a microwave you will save more than
enough to buy several counter top units.

Just put in a shelf to hold a countertop and save the money.

Bill

I'm with you. I just tossed a dead one. One that was in this house when I
bought it. Not only are they a lot more expensive, they are a magnet for
steam and oil and gunge that collects from being right over the cooking
surface. Most are inadequately vented if at all. Most just pull the smoke
and blow it right back in your face. Of course, you don't know it until you
completely dismount one and trace the path of air. They are also very
unsafe. You have your private parts right next to hot stuff on the stove
when you reach up there to put stuff in and take it out. You have hot stuff
at shoulder height and arms length.

I know it works for some people, and for some styles of cooking, but I'd
never own one.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken_W" wrote in message
Van Chocstraw wrote:
Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

They all work the same. More gadgets and more options make them more
expensive. If you think that's better go for it.

Ok thanks for the replies. I read on some model reviews where the unit
dies after 1 or 2 years, yet some other models last for over 10 years. I
bought a used OTR microwave for myself which is a GE made in 2002 and it's
still working fine. That's not a good sample to base a conclusion on I
know.

Wait till it dies, then take it apart and see all the slime you've been
inches from all these years.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote

They are also very
unsafe. You have your private parts right next to hot stuff on the stove
when you reach up there to put stuff in and take it out. You have hot
stuff at shoulder height and arms length.

I know it works for some people, and for some styles of cooking, but I'd
never own one.

Steve

(answering myself with an afterthought)

My wife is 5'2". For her, it is particularly dangerous. She has a small
step stool just for reaching the cupboards. A mess up with hot stuff on the
stove or coming out of the microwave would be a major thing. Plus, she
would definitely have to stand on a stool just to reach up there. And you
can't see the fluid levels sometimes, making it easier to pour stuff on
yourself if you're short.

I just don't like them from a safety and hygeine standpoint.

But, again, IF IT'S WHAT YOU LIKE, OR WHAT YOU HAVE SPACE FOR, GO FOR IT.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"BillGill" wrote in message
Ken_W wrote:
[...]

I mainly use mine because it is so much more powerful (hence, faster)
than my still-working 28 year old countertop unit. It came with the
house. I wish it had a turntable in it, though. It has an oven-style
metal shelf with little kinks to keep it from sparking.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

Not an over-the-range, but I love our Kenmore (model #721.---). First
feature that attracted me was the inside of the cabinet being rounded in
the back and one-piece, making it a cinch to clean. It defrosts meat
and softens a stick of butter perfectly - no hot spots. About $125.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

You are way off.

The key issue with the over the range microwave ovens is how good the
exhaust fan for the range is. Avoid units with only a 300 cfm fan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
"Ken_W" wrote in message
Van Chocstraw wrote:
Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to
start comparing brands/models?

They all work the same. More gadgets and more options make them more
expensive. If you think that's better go for it.

Ok thanks for the replies. I read on some model reviews where the
unit dies after 1 or 2 years, yet some other models last for over 10
years. I bought a used OTR microwave for myself which is a GE made
in 2002 and it's still working fine. That's not a good sample to
base a conclusion on I know.

Wait till it dies, then take it apart and see all the slime you've
been inches from all these years.

Steve

I agree that it's a bad solution but my Mom has a small kitchen and this
combines two things to make space. Combines them badly yes but still it's
workable. Otherwise would have to take a cabinet out somewhere to wall
mount. Then maybe pay a cabinet maker to make a custom piece to fit around
it which is another expense.

Most home builders seem to take the easy way out and design with OTR
microwaves, even the upper middle class type houses. The only place I seem
to see wall mounted microwaves done right (not above the range) is in the
more affluent range of houses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken_W wrote:

1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

Amana and Panasonic appear to dominate the commercial microwave market. I
know just about every time I take notice of the brand in a restaurant it is
a Panasonic. That also happens to be the brand of the best one I ever
owned.

My current one (Sharp) is okay, but I have never been able to find a setting
that will make a decent bag of popcorn. I have to choose between leaving a
third of the bag unpopped or burning it.

It would be nice to find one that actually had different power levels
instead of just cycling the power on and off with a timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rick Brandt wrote the following:
Ken_W wrote:

1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

Amana and Panasonic appear to dominate the commercial microwave market. I
know just about every time I take notice of the brand in a restaurant it is
a Panasonic. That also happens to be the brand of the best one I ever
owned.

My current one (Sharp) is okay, but I have never been able to find a setting
that will make a decent bag of popcorn. I have to choose between leaving a
third of the bag unpopped or burning it.

It would be nice to find one that actually had different power levels
instead of just cycling the power on and off with a timer.

I don't use the popcorn setting. I just set it on high for a minute or
so and stop it when I hear no more popping for a couple of seconds.
That's the way it was done before they put popcorn settings on microwave
ovens.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:49:05 -0600, "Ken_W" wrote:

1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

I have a Whirlpool. I selected this model because it has a (5-speed)
powerful fan. The glass tray moves side-to-side so it fits a glass
rectangular pan well. The installation can be a bear so set aside
enough time to finish the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Dec 15, 6:05*am, Rick Brandt wrote:
*

My current one (Sharp) is okay, but I have never been able to find a setting
that will make a decent bag of popcorn. I have to choose between leaving a
third of the bag unpopped or burning it. *

My Sharp does well with popcorn. Took a few bags to get it right
(2min, 33 sec) to get no scorching and less that 10 kernels unpopped.
But the brand of popcorn makes a difference also. Don't think it's
the popcorn per se, but how the bags are constructed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
BillGill wrote:

Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

I have no opinion on the best brand, but I had to go ahead and say it.
I don't care for over the range microwaves. They are much more
expensive than counter top units, and when they quit they are very
expensive to repair. You can buy a counter top unit for less than
$100, and when it fails you can dispose of it an buy another. In
the 10 or 15 year life of a microwave you will save more than
enough to buy several counter top units.

Just put in a shelf to hold a countertop and save the money.

Bill

I don't know whether I'd have opted for one, but the recent home
acquisition came with one, and I like it. As far as being expensive to
repair, this is a DIY group and I DIY'd the repair when Thing Two used
the power setting instead of the timer for a 30 minute stovetop
operation. One great feature is that you can use the timer and the cook
cycle independently and simultaneously.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"vict0r" wrote

Most home builders seem to take the easy way out and design with OTR
microwaves, even the upper middle class type houses. The only place I
seem to see wall mounted microwaves done right (not above the range) is in
the more affluent range of houses.

Alternatives: a cabinet that already has dead space. No need to hire a
cabinet maker, as one can DIY with a shelf and molding and make it look
nice. Another is a roll around cart. Think outside the box.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Brandt" wrote in message
Ken_W wrote:

1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

Amana and Panasonic appear to dominate the commercial microwave market. I
know just about every time I take notice of the brand in a restaurant it
is
a Panasonic. That also happens to be the brand of the best one I ever
owned.

Get the inverter. The first microwaves just cooked half the time on the 50%
setting. On and off for equal amounts of time, with full power blasts. The
Inverters cook at truly the % of power you set them at. Makes a huge
difference when cooking delicate things or things that like to blow up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

My current one (Sharp) is okay, but I have never been able to find a
setting
that will make a decent bag of popcorn. I have to choose between leaving
a third of the bag unpopped or burning it.

It IS possible to set a bag of microwave popcorn fully on fire. Don't ask
me how I know.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
My current one (Sharp) is okay, but I have never been able to find a
setting
that will make a decent bag of popcorn. I have to choose between leaving
a third of the bag unpopped or burning it.

It IS possible to set a bag of microwave popcorn fully on fire. Don't ask
me how I know.

Steve

I set a bread wrapper on fire in the microwave once....forgot to take
the wire twist-tie off to defrost loaf of bread. My son happened to
come into the kitchen and asked me, "What's on fire, Mom?" ) Got it
before any damage done, but the end of the plastic bag was flaming.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 14, 5:49*am, "Ken_W" wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. *Any suggestions on where to start
comparing brands/models?

I found out the VERY hard way sbout what Bill is referring to,I bought
the most expensive brand (Maytag) and I could have bought 10 of the
Counter Tops and been WAY ahead of the game!!!
Irish
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:

I don't use the popcorn setting. I just set it on high for a minute or
so and stop it when I hear no more popping for a couple of seconds.
That's the way it was done before they put popcorn settings on microwave
ovens.

And if I do that with my Sharp the kernels that popped early on are burnt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken_W wrote:

[...]

I remember where I used to work. Every afternoon somebody burned a bag of
popcorn. We could smell it all over the place. I don't know why they
never figured out how to do it right.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken_W wrote:

[...]

Is it just me, or does microwave popcorn smell like a basket full of
socks that have all been worn for two weeks straight?
Posted to alt.home.repair

BillGill wrote:

I remember where I used to work. Every afternoon somebody burned a bag of
popcorn. We could smell it all over the place. I don't know why they
never figured out how to do it right.

There are few things that smell better than buttered microwave popcorn
cooked to perfection and also few things that smell worse than microwave
popcorn that has been burned.