Posted to alt.home.repair
vict0r vict0r is offline

Default Best Over-the-Range Microwave Brands?

Steve B wrote:
"Ken_W" wrote in message
Van Chocstraw wrote:
Ken_W wrote:
1. Whirlpool?
2. GE?
3. Frigidaire?

Is this the top 3 or am I way off. Any suggestions on where to
start comparing brands/models?

They all work the same. More gadgets and more options make them more
expensive. If you think that's better go for it.

Ok thanks for the replies. I read on some model reviews where the
unit dies after 1 or 2 years, yet some other models last for over 10
years. I bought a used OTR microwave for myself which is a GE made
in 2002 and it's still working fine. That's not a good sample to
base a conclusion on I know.

Wait till it dies, then take it apart and see all the slime you've
been inches from all these years.

Steve

I agree that it's a bad solution but my Mom has a small kitchen and this
combines two things to make space. Combines them badly yes but still it's
workable. Otherwise would have to take a cabinet out somewhere to wall
mount. Then maybe pay a cabinet maker to make a custom piece to fit around
it which is another expense.

Most home builders seem to take the easy way out and design with OTR
microwaves, even the upper middle class type houses. The only place I seem
to see wall mounted microwaves done right (not above the range) is in the
more affluent range of houses.