Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing range vent with microwave, what to do with range hoodwiring

I'm going to put a microwave over our range like we did in our old
house, the dedicated circuit is already there for it so that part is
easy. My problem is the wire hanging out of the wall from the old
range hood that I want to make sure I terminate properly. It is
connected to the lighting circuit which I find pretty normal but I
can't find where its connected. It goes down once it goes in the wall
but doesn't connect to the plug behind the range or go through the
floor into the basement so I can't find the other end.
I've though of two options, buy one of those tone tracers like what is
used for network cable and cut power and put the tone on the line and
see if I can trace it back that way and hope its not behind other
cabinets and such. Or mount a box there and then put a solid cover
over it or put in a plug (I read that some range hoods do plug in).
All the searching I've found everyone else has been able to easily
find the feed side and disconnect it but I'm not having much luck.
I'm guessing maybe it goes down to just above the backsplash to where
there is a switch for an over the sink light and there are several
wires in that box but its really hard to tell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would try the counter outlets and see if it comes from there,
otherwise, you can put the wire in the same outlet box with the new
line. Just make sure its capped off. Most over the range microwaves
have plugs, so you need to install an outlet in the cabinet above.
Mount the box to the right side because that's where the plug comes up
through the cabinet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eugene wrote:
I'm going to put a microwave over our range like we did in our old
house, the dedicated circuit is already there for it so that part is
easy. My problem is the wire hanging out of the wall from the old
range hood that I want to make sure I terminate properly.

When I had the same situation I solved it by simply terminating the
cable in an outlet box recessed into the wall with a blank cover.
Position it in such a way so as not to interfere with the mounting plate
for the microwave.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eugene" wrote in message
[...]

Both Mikepier and Bob's suggestions will work fine. If the existing cable is
on a lighting circuit, which is typical, it probably does come from a nearby
switchbox. In the switchbox for the sink light, pull out any black wire
splices where more than two wires are joined. Carefully disconnect the
spliced wires and see if the old fan cable is killed. If so, leave that wire
out of the splice, find and disconnect its white wire and ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eugene wrote:
[...]

Depends on your motivation. If the curiosity is driving you crazy, then the
tone tool is what you need.

If you won't have sleepless nights over where the wires go, just put some
wire nuts on it an forget it.