Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Inlet

On my new house I had the electrician
install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside
the house. This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box
with a hinged cover. Shouldn't
this be a male connector? So that you
don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot
male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about
this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
On my new house I had the electrician install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside the house. This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box with a hinged cover. Shouldn't
this be a male connector? So that you don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.

You are correct, It should be a flanged inlet, which is male. The female
cord body from the generator plugs onto it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 10:28�pm, Art Todesco wrote:
On my new house I had the electrician
install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside
the house. �This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box
with a hinged cover. �Shouldn't
this be a male connector? �So that you
don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot
male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about
this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.

I am no electrician and I don't know what the NEC says, and I (like
you), am too lazy to look it up. :-) But, I would think that a female
inlet is what you want. I wouldn't want any prongs, that could be hot
(electrically charged), exposed directly to the elements or where a
person/child could get shocked from them it they get touched.

This is just my opinion with no valid experience or knowledge.

I am anxious to hear what others say.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message
[...]

If his receptacle was female, the cord from the generator would have to be
male on both ends, which is exactly the dangerous violation you refer to.
The receptacle attached to the house (male prongs) is never live, except
when powered by the generator, as it's feeding a transfer switch

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
[...]

Exactly why I originally posted this
question. Right now, I disconnected
the male receptacle and connected 3
pieces of 12 gauge stranded wire
to a plug matching my generator. I did
this because I didn't have the 4
pin plug to use with the provided
receptacle, power was out and it
looked like it was going to be a long
one as a blown-over tree knocked
down 2 spans of a 5KV line. But ....
now I'd like to do it right. I'm
seriously thinking of replacing the
small box with a slightly larger one
and just coil the wire and generator
plug inside. Then all you have to do
is open the box, pull out the wire and
plug it into the generator which
would sit 4' away in its running
location. Also, I guess I should connect
the 4th safety green wire to the
generator frame ... not sure how important
that is because I'm pretty sure it is
already connected to neutral in the
genset, but I'd have to check to be
sure. Also, the breaker panel, which
is, of course earth grounded, is right
behind the wall where generator inlet
box is mounted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 9:28*pm, Art Todesco wrote:
On my new house I had the electrician
install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside
the house. *This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box
with a hinged cover. *Shouldn't
this be a male connector? *So that you
don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot
male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about
this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.

The generac transfer kit I got was a complete kit with exterior box,
sockets and cables, my exterior socket is male and the box can lock so
nobody can get shocked if my panel malfunctions, your cable from the
gen is now not standard purchase, female- male plug but male - male
and is more dangerous, you must now make a gen cable. Have him change
it. Look online for photos of transfer panels and exterior boxes it
should be visable what kind of socket they show, a male. Try Generac,
Honda and other sites. On another issue test the gen with a volt meter
60hz is 3600rpm is 120v. You should start unloaded a bit higher at
124v maybe 61hz and not drop to low testing full load, electric
resistance heaters are good for a test. Everything has a V and HZ safe
operating range, to low or to high and you might have repair bills
soon. An electrician friend bought a new cheap unit, didnt check V, 20
minutes later his new TV smoked, it was putting out about 150v he
said. Base motor rpm can be set, go for 122-24 v without load , then
load it up and monitor it. A Kill a watt is good for HZ, your panel
does have of course 2 watt meters so you can run it safely. Test it
all first with electric heaters to rated load.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 12/9/2009 10:38 PM (ET) RBM wrote the following:
"Art Todesco" wrote in message

On my new house I had the electrician install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside the house. This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box with a hinged cover. Shouldn't
this be a male connector? So that you don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.

You are correct, It should be a flanged inlet, which is male. The female
cord body from the generator plugs onto it

No. All outlets should be female. Yes, the generator is also a female
outlet. Generators do not come with the power cords, you have to
make/have made a power cord with both ends male, as I have had made by a
licensed union electrician..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:16:00 -0500, willshak
wrote Re Generator Inlet:

No. All outlets should be female. Yes, the generator is also a female
outlet. Generators do not come with the power cords, you have to
make/have made a power cord with both ends male, as I have had made by a
licensed union electrician..

Good advice. What do they charge for that in your area?
--
I filter all messages from google groups.
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
[...]

Not so. The input to an emergency transfer switch is male. This allows
connection via a normal extension cable.

Here's an example:
http://www.steadypower.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1524

Posted to alt.home.repair

On my new house I had the electrician install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside the house. This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box with a hinged cover. Shouldn't
this be a male connector? So that you don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.

You are correct, It should be a flanged inlet, which is male. The female
cord body from the generator plugs onto it

No. All outlets should be female. Yes, the generator is also a female
outlet. Generators do not come with the power cords, you have to make/have
made a power cord with both ends male, as I have had made by a licensed
union electrician..

*The feed to the house electrical panel or transfer switch is connected to
an inlet (Male) normally. You connect the female part of a cord from the
generator to the male inlet. A male to male connection is dangerous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 5:32�am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
[...]

Ok, I couldn't stop myself. I went to Home Depot website and searched
for an electrical INLET. Found one for $46.50 in a metal box that can
be locked. It is MALE. I kinda liked it, I may put one on my barn. So,
I guess worrying about someone touching the prongs is moot if the box
is locked.

Hank ~~~~hardly ever right the first time
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2009 12:16, willshak wrote:
[...]

That would be incorrect. The house (or location to be serviced) outlet
should always be male and the mating cord should of course have the same
series female cord connector.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you mean "male inlet"?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message

I am no electrician and I don't know what the NEC says, and
I (like
you), am too lazy to look it up. :-) But, I would think
that a female
inlet is what you want. I wouldn't want any prongs, that
could be hot
(electrically charged), exposed directly to the elements or
where a
person/child could get shocked from them it they get
touched.

This is just my opinion with no valid experience or
knowledge.

I am anxious to hear what others say.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair

He's talking about an inlet (male). You changed the subject
from inlet to outlet.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

You are correct, It should be a flanged inlet, which is
male. The female
cord body from the generator plugs onto it

No. All outlets should be female. Yes, the generator is also
a female
outlet. Generators do not come with the power cords, you
have to
make/have made a power cord with both ends male, as I have
had made by a
licensed union electrician..

Posted to alt.home.repair

A picture is worth a thousand usenet posts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

The input to an emergency transfer switch is male. This
allows
connection via a normal extension cable.

Here's an example:
http://www.steadypower.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1524

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since the inlet is one side of the transfer switch, there is
zero chance the inlet will ever be energized by line power.
Your moot is moot. That felt strange, to write.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message

Ok, I couldn't stop myself. I went to Home Depot website and
searched
for an electrical INLET. Found one for $46.50 in a metal box
that can
be locked. It is MALE. I kinda liked it, I may put one on my
barn. So,
I guess worrying about someone touching the prongs is moot
if the box
is locked.

Hank ~~~~hardly ever right the first time

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Generator Inlet:

No. All outlets should be female. Yes, the generator is also a female
outlet. Generators do not come with the power cords, you have to
make/have made a power cord with both ends male, as I have had made by a
licensed union electrician..

Good advice. What do they charge for that in your area?
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Transfer kits sold are Male in exterior box or panel so you dont plug
in the cord and kill yourself in the dark with a hot open male plug.
220v 30a and you dont live long. Look online at what is sold
standard.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

Yes...I have the same set up in my house. I have a male inlet for
plugging into the house. A lot of posters think that the male prongs
sticking out are hot when the house is in normal operation. This is not the
case as it comes with an emergency power transfer switch. It is has NO
electricity to the male plug until it is plugged into the generator. It's
like saying don't touch the ends of your male toaster plug in LOL... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Grabowski wrote:

*The feed to the house electrical panel or transfer switch is
connected to an inlet (Male) normally. You connect the female part
of a cord from the generator to the male inlet. A male to male
connection is dangerous.

In more ways than one. (Not there's anything wrong with that.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ok, after lots and lots of replies, I
had the electrician out today (for
another reason) and asked about the
female inlet he installed. He agreed
that male would be better, but that's
what they (who ever they are) provided.
I told the electrician that I was
going to remove the female connector and
add 3 wires going to a plug that would
fit the genset. He said, "that's what
I'd do!" When not in use, the cord
easily folds up inside the inlet box,
now that the female connector and its
plate is gone. The cover still closes
nicely keeping the cord and plug dry.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
Ok, after lots and lots of replies, I had the electrician out today (for
another reason) and asked about the female inlet he installed. He agreed
that male would be better, but that's what they (who ever they are)
provided. I told the electrician that I was going to remove the female
connector and add 3 wires going to a plug that would fit the genset. He
said, "that's what I'd do!" When not in use, the cord easily folds up
inside the inlet box, now that the female connector and its plate is gone.
The cover still closes nicely keeping the cord and plug dry.

Art,

Email me directly at : morriswelding at sasktel dot net and I'll send
you digital photos of what I have installed by an electricial
contractor...it work great ! so far (knock on wood) I haven't actually
needed it, but have done a number of trial power outages to make sure
everything works as designed... regards... Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 1:29�pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Do you mean "male inlet"?

--
Christopher A. Young

I was thinking female inlet on my first response. But after a little
(very little) research I found out that I was wrong.

As it stands now I am so confused I can't tell the difference between
a male inlet or a female outlet. By the way, what does sex have to do
with it?

Hank ~~~~all mail :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 1:29�pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Do you mean "male inlet"?

--
Christopher A. Young

I was thinking female inlet on my first response. But after a little
(very little) research I found out that I was wrong.

As it stands now I am so confused I can't tell the difference between
a male inlet or a female outlet. By the way, what does sex have to do
with it?

Hank ~~~~all mail :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The male prongs of the flanged inlet could only become live (when not being
fed by a generator), if you have it directly connected to a circuit breaker
panel, which is incorrect. It should only be connected to a transfer switch

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
[...]

The thing on the generator, which is female, is an outlet, probably twist
lok. The thing that "should" be on the house is an inlet, which is male.
There should NEVER be two male ends on a line voltage extension cord, and if
yours was built by a "licensed electrician", he's either seriously ignorant,
or seriously stupid, or both

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

In a generator inlet the only thing that can energize those exposed
male pins is the generator that will be connected to them. The inlet
is connected to one leg of the supply side of a switching arrangement
that can either be connected to the generator inlet or to the utility
power source but never both. The common connection of the switching
arrangement is connected only to the loads that the generator will
supply. Nothing on the load side of the switching arrangement is
capable of producing power.
--
Tom Horne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 12:16*pm, willshak wrote:
[...]

Then, as an electrician that was trained by the National Joint
Apprenticeship Training Committee (NJATC) of the National Electrical
Contractors Association (NECA) and the International Brotherhood of
Electrical Workers (IBEW) I am embarrassed by his work. Double male
Cords are never needed, legal, or safe.
--
Tom Horne

cistern inlet benpost UK diy 6 November 20th 08 08:32 PM
Mains inlet on a car. Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 32 January 4th 08 12:29 AM
Increase inlet on DC? trs80 Woodworking 9 April 12th 07 04:37 PM
Inlet Valve? kontiki UK diy 2 February 10th 07 11:17 PM
cistern inlet leak 51 UK diy 3 September 24th 06 06:52 PM