Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default Generator Inlet

On Dec 10, 5:32�am, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
On Dec 9, 10:28 pm, Art Todesco wrote:

On my new house I had the electrician
install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside
the house. This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box
with a hinged cover. Shouldn't
this be a male connector? So that you
don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot
male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about
this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.

I am no electrician and I don't know what the NEC says, and I (like
you), am too lazy to look it up. :-) �But, I would think that a female
inlet is what you want. I wouldn't want any prongs, that could be hot
(electrically charged), exposed directly to the elements or where a
person/child could get shocked from them it they get touched.

This is just my opinion with no valid experience or knowledge.

I am anxious to hear what others say.

Hank

Ok, I couldn't stop myself. I went to Home Depot website and searched
for an electrical INLET. Found one for $46.50 in a metal box that can
be locked. It is MALE. I kinda liked it, I may put one on my barn. So,
I guess worrying about someone touching the prongs is moot if the box
is locked.

Hank ~~~~hardly ever right the first time