Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Increase inlet on DC?

My DC has a 5" dia inlet opening to the impeller.
If I go with 6" main pipe for my small shop DC system, should I open up the
inlet on the DC to 6".? Or should I make the mains 5" dia?
thanks for any tips

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 6, 1:21 am, "trs80" wrote:
My DC has a 5" dia inlet opening to the impeller.
If I go with 6" main pipe for my small shop DC system, should I open up the
inlet on the DC to 6".? Or should I make the mains 5" dia?
thanks for any tips

6" pipe will flow more air, but that 5" restriction will still be the
main limit to your flow. You may end up with probelms of dust settling
in the slower moving air in the 6" pipe rather than carrying thru the
5" into the collector.
If it were me, I would go with 5 " pipe.
Brad

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Brad" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 6, 1:21 am, "trs80" wrote:
My DC has a 5" dia inlet opening to the impeller.
If I go with 6" main pipe for my small shop DC system, should I open up
the
inlet on the DC to 6".? Or should I make the mains 5" dia?
thanks for any tips

6" pipe will flow more air, but that 5" restriction will still be the
main limit to your flow. You may end up with probelms of dust settling
in the slower moving air in the 6" pipe rather than carrying thru the
5" into the collector.
If it were me, I would go with 5 " pipe.
Brad

Why would dust settling in the 6" pipe matter? A dusty 6" pipe will have
less resistance than a clean 5".

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
Why would dust settling in the 6" pipe matter? A dusty 6" pipe will have
less resistance than a clean 5".

Big chips will also loft the dust if they travel the same path.

I've got 6" 26 ga. HVAC pipe all the way to each machine and directly
into my DC1200, using Lee Valley 6" gates. It's exponentially better
than my old 4" plumbing.

On my Jet DC, removing the 2x4" plug uncovered a 6" outlet. I don't
think a 6-5 right at the machine would be a deal killer.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I bet you would be fine either way. 5" inlet or 6" inlet. To me it
seems like a 6" to 5" reducer would be a lot less work. I would do
the 6" pipe so some day when you are rich you can install that 10hp
cyclone collector and not have to replace the pipe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Did you run a bare grounded wire through the inside of this PVC pipe? Since
you are not using metal ducking, you run the risk of burning down your shop!
Smaller dust particulates and a static discharge make for a very unhappy
ending!

"trs80" wrote in message
My DC has a 5" dia inlet opening to the impeller.
If I go with 6" main pipe for my small shop DC system, should I open up
the inlet on the DC to 6".? Or should I make the mains 5" dia?
thanks for any tips

Posted to rec.woodworking

K & D Rossi wrote:
Did you run a bare grounded wire through the inside of this PVC pipe? Since
you are not using metal ducking, you run the risk of burning down your shop!
Smaller dust particulates and a static discharge make for a very unhappy
ending!

Dear K & D Rossi ... save yourself a public flogging ... use Google to
research the archives of this group regarding this topic. We have this
discussion every few months and it always ends the same way ... the
proponent of the 'big bang theory' gets mauled.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000733-0, 04/11/2007
Tested on: 4/12/2007 2:17:08 AM

Inlet Valve? kontiki UK diy 2 February 10th 07 11:17 PM
Toilet inlet valve marc_ely UK diy 11 October 3rd 06 12:57 AM
cistern inlet leak 51 UK diy 3 September 24th 06 06:52 PM
Qx - How to Clean Up a Routed Inlet Tom Banes Woodworking 10 August 4th 05 10:28 PM