Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet inlet valve

Hi

I'm in the process of fitting a new bathroom suite and put the new
toilet/cistern together yesterday.

It's a modern close coupled type with twin button push flush. The
valve assembly is a weird looking thing (at least to me). There's no
overflow outlet - so I presume it has an internal (to the bowl)
overflow.

It also came with a little plastic inlet filter. Do I need this? The
toilet is fed direct from the mains, and is upstairs.

Thanks
Marc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

marc_ely wrote:
Hi

I'm in the process of fitting a new bathroom suite and put the new
toilet/cistern together yesterday.

It's a modern close coupled type with twin button push flush. The
valve assembly is a weird looking thing (at least to me). There's no
overflow outlet - so I presume it has an internal (to the bowl)
overflow.

It also came with a little plastic inlet filter. Do I need this? The
toilet is fed direct from the mains, and is upstairs.

Thanks
Marc

Yes the overflow is fed directly into the bowl as part of the flushing
mechanism. Some might say it is inferior to the old-fashioned overflow
out of the side of the wall as it is not as apparent that the cistern
is overflowing. However, it saves you having to drill a hole through
the side of your house.

Yes use the inlet filter which is supposed to filter out any crud and
prevent it from contaminating the filler mechanism (which would then
stick partially open, causing the cistern to overflow!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "marc_ely" contains these words:

It's a modern close coupled type with twin button push flush. The
valve assembly is a weird looking thing (at least to me). There's no
overflow outlet - so I presume it has an internal (to the bowl)
overflow.

If the core of the lifting wossname is hollow then that's where it
overflows. I'd fit the filter - there's not particular reason why not
and it'll just possibly catch some bit of crud and save you a dodgy
valve.

If it's mains fed, it may well have also come with a flow-reducer of
some sort. Without it you'll get a very concussive shut off.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Wingedcat" contains these words:

Yes the overflow is fed directly into the bowl as part of the flushing
mechanism. Some might say it is inferior to the old-fashioned overflow
out of the side of the wall as it is not as apparent that the cistern
is overflowing.

It's not just that, it's also easier to ignore. I know someone who's
cistern has been overflowing internally for at least a year, but they
just won't fix it. Were it an external overflow it'd be much more
annoying and probably fixed sooner.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the fast advice everyone .
The cistern doesn't have a hole for an overflow so I will stick to the
internal type.

I will fit the filter. There were two adaptors with it, one of which
will fit my service valve pipe. I'm not sure if it will reduce the
flow though.

Marc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Oct 2006 05:19:16 -0700, "marc_ely" wrote:

Thanks for the fast advice everyone .
The cistern doesn't have a hole for an overflow so I will stick to the
internal type.

I will fit the filter. There were two adaptors with it, one of which
will fit my service valve pipe. I'm not sure if it will reduce the
flow though.

Marc

Two "adaptors" ?? You're not getting confused with the high and low pressure
thingymabobs that you fit in to the bottom of the valve before you connect up
the supply pipe. ?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 13:13:40 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message .com
from "Wingedcat" contains these words:

Yes the overflow is fed directly into the bowl as part of the flushing
mechanism. Some might say it is inferior to the old-fashioned overflow
out of the side of the wall as it is not as apparent that the cistern
is overflowing.

It's not just that, it's also easier to ignore. I know someone who's
cistern has been overflowing internally for at least a year, but they
just won't fix it. Were it an external overflow it'd be much more
annoying and probably fixed sooner.

Pop some plaster or cement down the pan on your next visit. Won't stop
the leak immediately but it more or less guarantees that the waste of
water will stop

It's always sounded a bit dodgy to me this overflow down the pan
business. I know the water can't flow uphill but it's hardly hygenic
is it? Sort of thing the French might "design"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:55:18 +0100, Matt wrote:

snipped ......

It's always sounded a bit dodgy to me this overflow down the pan
business. I know the water can't flow uphill but it's hardly hygenic
is it? Sort of thing the French might "design"

"unhygienic" .....? Can't quite get your drift on that one I'm afraid

..How is it so ?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:07:03 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:55:18 +0100, Matt wrote:

snipped ......

It's always sounded a bit dodgy to me this overflow down the pan
business. I know the water can't flow uphill but it's hardly hygenic
is it? Sort of thing the French might "design"

"unhygienic" .....? Can't quite get your drift on that one I'm afraid

..How is it so ?

Y'know, toilet water, lid, head.

Stuart

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
On 2 Oct 2006 05:19:16 -0700, "marc_ely" wrote:

Thanks for the fast advice everyone .
The cistern doesn't have a hole for an overflow so I will stick to the
internal type.

I will fit the filter. There were two adaptors with it, one of which
will fit my service valve pipe. I'm not sure if it will reduce the
flow though.

Marc

Two "adaptors" ?? You're not getting confused with the high and low pressure
thingymabobs that you fit in to the bottom of the valve before you connect up
the supply pipe. ?

Stuart

Hm, not too happy with mine. After flushing the cistern is prone to
overflow. It matters not how I adjust the float, the problem is the
valve does not always close properly, the overflow lasts for anything
from a few seconds to several minutes. I've replaced the mechanism once
already, and it is a pain as it means disconnecting the inlet pipe and
removing the whole caboodle from the cistern. I'm thinking of going
back to the old fashioned ones, they seem to last much longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:55:18 +0100, Matt wrote:

snipped ......

It's always sounded a bit dodgy to me this overflow down the pan
business. I know the water can't flow uphill but it's hardly hygenic
is it? Sort of thing the French might "design"

"unhygienic" .....? Can't quite get your drift on that one I'm afraid

..How is it so ?

Y'know, toilet water, lid, head.

Stuart

I'm none the wiser ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 02/10/2006 17:39 Broadback wrote:

Hm, not too happy with mine. After flushing the cistern is prone to
overflow. It matters not how I adjust the float, the problem is the
valve does not always close properly, the overflow lasts for anything
from a few seconds to several minutes. I've replaced the mechanism once
already, and it is a pain as it means disconnecting the inlet pipe and
removing the whole caboodle from the cistern.

Turn the water off. Take the lid off. Unscrew the large vertically
orientated nut that holds the valve/float height detection assembly to
the top of the water inlet assembly. Behind it will be a rubber washer
with a couple of plastic inserts. Remove it and clear out any debris
that has found its way along the supply pipe.

A couple of bits of solder had found their way into mine (yes, I had
forgotten to install the filter).

HTH.

--
Frank