Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt Matt is offline

Default Toilet inlet valve

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 13:13:40 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message .com
from "Wingedcat" contains these words:

Yes the overflow is fed directly into the bowl as part of the flushing
mechanism. Some might say it is inferior to the old-fashioned overflow
out of the side of the wall as it is not as apparent that the cistern
is overflowing.

It's not just that, it's also easier to ignore. I know someone who's
cistern has been overflowing internally for at least a year, but they
just won't fix it. Were it an external overflow it'd be much more
annoying and probably fixed sooner.

Pop some plaster or cement down the pan on your next visit. Won't stop
the leak immediately but it more or less guarantees that the waste of
water will stop

It's always sounded a bit dodgy to me this overflow down the pan
business. I know the water can't flow uphill but it's hardly hygenic
is it? Sort of thing the French might "design"