Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne[_4_] Tom Horne[_4_] is offline

Default Generator Inlet

On Dec 10, 12:16*pm, willshak wrote:
on 12/9/2009 10:38 PM (ET) RBM wrote the following:

"Art Todesco" wrote in message

On my new house I had the electrician install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside the house. *This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box with a hinged cover. *Shouldn't
this be a male connector? *So that you don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.

You are correct, It should be a flanged inlet, which is male. The female
cord body from the *generator plugs onto it

No. All outlets should be female. Yes, the generator is also a female
outlet. Generators do not come with the power cords, you have to
make/have made a power cord with both ends male, as I have had made by a
licensed union electrician..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Then, as an electrician that was trained by the National Joint
Apprenticeship Training Committee (NJATC) of the National Electrical
Contractors Association (NECA) and the International Brotherhood of
Electrical Workers (IBEW) I am embarrassed by his work. Double male
Cords are never needed, legal, or safe.
--
Tom Horne