Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cistern inlet

its from b + q £189 suite, a plastic inlet thread comes out of the
cistern to attach the water supply.

the pipe coming up to the cistern has a white plastic connector with a
black rubber washer and gold metal nut. when i put everything in place
and tighten the nut (taking care not to cross thread), its still
diffficult to tighten it up, and after a few turns with a spanner, it
doesnt look straight.

with the water on theres a very slow leak, a little drop of water
seeping from under the nut occasionaly.

now is the problem using a metal nut on a plastic thread? the washer
looks in good condition. any help appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"benpost" wrote in message
its from b + q £189 suite, a plastic inlet thread comes out of the
cistern to attach the water supply.

the pipe coming up to the cistern has a white plastic connector with a
black rubber washer and gold metal nut. when i put everything in place
and tighten the nut (taking care not to cross thread), its still
diffficult to tighten it up, and after a few turns with a spanner, it
doesnt look straight.

with the water on theres a very slow leak, a little drop of water
seeping from under the nut occasionaly.

now is the problem using a metal nut on a plastic thread? the washer
looks in good condition. any help appreciated.

Wrap the thread with PTFE (plumbers) tape. Four or five full turns around
the thread should be enough. Or get a softer seal washer, or double it up,
in the connector.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"benpost" wrote in message
its from b + q £189 suite, a plastic inlet thread comes out of the
cistern to attach the water supply.

the pipe coming up to the cistern has a white plastic connector with a
black rubber washer and gold metal nut. when i put everything in place
and tighten the nut (taking care not to cross thread), its still
diffficult to tighten it up, and after a few turns with a spanner, it
doesnt look straight.

with the water on theres a very slow leak, a little drop of water
seeping from under the nut occasionaly.

now is the problem using a metal nut on a plastic thread? the washer
looks in good condition. any help appreciated.

Wrap the thread with PTFE (plumbers) tape. Four or five full turns around
the thread should be enough. Or get a softer seal washer, or double it
up,
in the connector.

I beg to differ - the thread should not be contributing to the water
tightness. Perhaps the wall thickness of the cistern is not consistent - so
the idea of doubling up the washers is a good idea - preferably on the
inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
its from b + q £189 suite, a plastic inlet thread comes out of the
cistern to attach the water supply.

the pipe coming up to the cistern has a white plastic connector with a
black rubber washer and gold metal nut. when i put everything in place
and tighten the nut (taking care not to cross thread), its still
diffficult to tighten it up, and after a few turns with a spanner, it
doesnt look straight.

Does the connector look like this?
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/48168/...mm-x-Pack-of-5

with the water on theres a very slow leak, a little drop of water
seeping from under the nut occasionaly.

Its the alignment. Common problem IME.

The best way to fit these IME is to slacken off the nut holding the float
valve inlet into the cistern. This gives enough flexibility to line up the
threads exactly. If they are not lined up exactly the metal nut will try to
cut a thread on the plastic inlet thread & it will drip.

Lined up exactly the metal nut can be tightened up by hand & a final 'nip'
with a spanner seals it. A smear of LSX helps.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
benpost wrote:
the pipe coming up to the cistern has a white plastic connector with a
black rubber washer and gold metal nut. when i put everything in place
and tighten the nut (taking care not to cross thread), its still
diffficult to tighten it up, and after a few turns with a spanner, it
doesnt look straight.

with the water on theres a very slow leak, a little drop of water
seeping from under the nut occasionaly.

Fernox LS-X is your friend.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

medway handy man you were correct, i'm glad this is a common problem
as my dad who has been helping me, had a right go about me cross
threading it!

in the end we had to unwind the plastic nut above, to restore the
thread, and attach the metal nut with the cistern moved.

the re attach the water inlet on the other corner of the bend which is
a push fit one.

i would guess a metal thread would be a better idea here??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

benpost wrote:
medway handy man you were correct, i'm glad this is a common problem
as my dad who has been helping me, had a right go about me cross
threading it!

Glad you got it sorted. If I change a ball/float valve I invariably use a
flexible tap connector just to avoid the problem & make life easy.

in the end we had to unwind the plastic nut above, to restore the
thread, and attach the metal nut with the cistern moved.

the re attach the water inlet on the other corner of the bend which is
a push fit one.

i would guess a metal thread would be a better idea here??

Older ball valves were brass and you didn't get this problem.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

WC cistern inlet runs constantly after unrelated plumbing work tonyjeffs[_2_] UK diy 3 November 8th 08 06:11 PM
Dripping cistern inlet ball valve JR[_5_] UK diy 7 April 26th 08 03:01 PM
Cistern does not fill up - until cistern lid removed Moo UK diy 8 October 13th 07 07:30 PM
cistern inlet leak 51 UK diy 3 September 24th 06 06:52 PM
Internal cistern water inlet mjbarnard UK diy 0 October 28th 05 01:39 PM