Posted to uk.d-i-y
Moo Moo is offline

Default Cistern does not fill up - until cistern lid removed

I don't know a huge amount about plumbing / toilets, so I'm hoping
someone can help me with this.

Recently the toilet cistern has not been filling up. This is easily
resolved by simply unscrewing and lifting the cistern lid, and then it
fills up without me having to do anything else. It's an intermittent
problem, but it's a pain having to unscrew and lift the lid before I
can flush it! The toilet I have is a Bellavista Stylo push flush.

Can anyone help explain to me what the problem is and how I can
prevent it?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Moo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't know a huge amount about plumbing / toilets, so I'm hoping
someone can help me with this.

Recently the toilet cistern has not been filling up. This is easily
resolved by simply unscrewing and lifting the cistern lid, and then it
fills up without me having to do anything else. It's an intermittent
problem, but it's a pain having to unscrew and lift the lid before I
can flush it! The toilet I have is a Bellavista Stylo push flush.

Can anyone help explain to me what the problem is and how I can
prevent it?

Thanks.

Can you take a picture of it with the lid off?

If so, don't post the picture here, as that's not allowed, just upload it to
something like http://tinypic.com and post a link to it here.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Moo wrote:

I don't know a huge amount about plumbing / toilets, so I'm hoping
someone can help me with this.

Recently the toilet cistern has not been filling up. This is easily
resolved by simply unscrewing and lifting the cistern lid, and then it
fills up without me having to do anything else. It's an intermittent
problem, but it's a pain having to unscrew and lift the lid before I
can flush it! The toilet I have is a Bellavista Stylo push flush.

Can anyone help explain to me what the problem is and how I can
prevent it?

Thanks.

The float valve must be getting jammed against the edge of the lid, and it
gets released when you remove the lid.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Moo Moo is offline

Here is a link to pictures with the lid off. Any advice would be
appreciated.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078767.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078757.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078747.jpg

Thanks.

Can you take a picture of it with the lid off?

If so, don't post the picture here, as that's not allowed, just upload it to
something likehttp://tinypic.comand post a link to it here.

Sparks...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Moo Moo is offline

On 11 Oct, 22:09, "Roger Mills" wrote:

Moo wrote:
[...]

I will check the float valve. Another bit of information: during the
last day there has been an intermittent trickle of a small amount of
water into the toilet bowl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When you say is it isn't filling..
Safe to say the lid is making no difference.
Assuming , you haven't turn the water off before taking lid off...With
the bottom, black, cup-like , float in that position it should be
filling.
Check that it moves freely up and down and at its highest position is
not getting jamed against the side of the cistern.
Another possible is a bit of crap in the valve. I had a toilet not
fill, and a piece of lead shot hadwedged itself firmly into the
regulator.
Never had a fluidmaster apart..but I think the upper black cup thing
should come off and there will be a diaphram washer and a plastic
reducer there.Just check those.

Here is a link to pictures with the lid off. Any advice would be
appreciated.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078747.jpg

Thanks.

Can you take a picture of it with the lid off?

If so, don't post the picture here, as that's not allowed, just upload it to
something likehttp://tinypic.comandpost a link to it here.

Sparks...- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ups.com...

Moo wrote:
[...]

If the trickle is intermittent then it is most likely to be overflow.
Adjust the water level in the cistern to stop this
If it is continuous then that would point to a bad seal on the outlet.
If this is the case then grasp the valve near the base and give a twist and
lift it out and clean up the large sealing washer and replace. You can do
this with the water switched off or on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-10-13 13:57:47 +0100, Moo said:

Here is a link to pictures with the lid off. Any advice would be
appreciated.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078767.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078757.jpg
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078747.jpg

Thanks.

Can you take a picture of it with the lid off?

If so, don't post the picture here, as that's not allowed, just upload it to
something likehttp://tinypic.comand post a link to it here.

Sparks...

Ah a Fluidmaster.

I've had a couple of these in the past and found them to be poorly
made. The float can stick in the bottom position, the top or in
between.

I messed around with one carefully removing bits of plastic moulding
flash from tha parts and it was still poor.

In the end I slung it out and replaced it with a Torbeck. These do
not have this issue.

With all of these equilibrium valves, make sure that you flush them
through as recommended before putting the cap on the front. If a
piece of grit gets stuck in the needle valve, they can misbehave.
This can happen with the fluidmaster as well, but I think you have the
stuck float problem instead or as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078767.jpg

When you say is it isn't filling..
Safe to say the lid is making no difference.

snipped loads
Never had a fluidmaster apart..but I think the upper black cup thing
should come off and there will be a diaphram washer and a plastic
reducer there.Just check those.

I had to change one of these this week, as it was leaking, and to
compound it, the overflow was leaking, so the bathroom floor was soaked.
Anyway, i tried to take it apart to see what type of washer it had, and
I just couldnt prise the top off.
I gave up and went to a plumbers merchant who said they hadnt seen one
the same as that before (just the same as in the pic,) but sold me a
generic replacement, which JUST fitted in the available space, though
the OP's cistern looks to have a smaller syphon than the one I had to
squeeze it past.
Cost around £12, and once fitted worked well.
Screwfix do one very similar:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=00017&id=2921
2

Alan.

New cistern slow to fill Jon Telfer UK diy 5 February 27th 07 07:23 PM
Getting into cistern Martin Pentreath UK diy 6 May 26th 06 07:07 AM
Cistern issue. Matthew UK diy 2 May 11th 06 09:26 AM
Very slow WC cistern fill Kevin Green UK diy 2 January 24th 06 03:07 PM
Toilet cistern won't fill Fatboise UK diy 10 January 18th 06 10:56 PM