Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Cistern does not fill up - until cistern lid removed

wrote:

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL407.../283078767.jpg

When you say is it isn't filling..
Safe to say the lid is making no difference.

snipped loads
Never had a fluidmaster apart..but I think the upper black cup thing
should come off and there will be a diaphram washer and a plastic
reducer there.Just check those.

I had to change one of these this week, as it was leaking, and to
compound it, the overflow was leaking, so the bathroom floor was soaked.
Anyway, i tried to take it apart to see what type of washer it had, and
I just couldnt prise the top off.
I gave up and went to a plumbers merchant who said they hadnt seen one
the same as that before (just the same as in the pic,) but sold me a
generic replacement, which JUST fitted in the available space, though
the OP's cistern looks to have a smaller syphon than the one I had to
squeeze it past.
Cost around £12, and once fitted worked well.
Screwfix do one very similar:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=00017&id=2921
2

Alan.