Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Generator Inlet

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
on 12/9/2009 10:38 PM (ET) RBM wrote the following:
"Art Todesco" wrote in message

On my new house I had the electrician install a generator panel.
He also put an inlet connector outside the house. This connector
is a 4 pin female connector in a box with a hinged cover. Shouldn't
this be a male connector? So that you don't have a male to male
cord leading to the possibility of a hot male connector.
Does anyone know what the NEC says about this?
Or any other comments?
Thanks.

You are correct, It should be a flanged inlet, which is male. The female
cord body from the generator plugs onto it

No. All outlets should be female. Yes, the generator is also a female
outlet. Generators do not come with the power cords, you have to make/have
made a power cord with both ends male, as I have had made by a licensed
union electrician..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The thing on the generator, which is female, is an outlet, probably twist
lok. The thing that "should" be on the house is an inlet, which is male.
There should NEVER be two male ends on a line voltage extension cord, and if
yours was built by a "licensed electrician", he's either seriously ignorant,
or seriously stupid, or both