Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to get teeny-tiny screws

I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4b19c84c$0$27012
:

I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

Might help to know how many you need? Those cardboard bins they even have
at the BORG have some pretty oddball stuff but can be a quarter for a
screw. No one cares when buying one onesie-twosies.

Assume you don't want brass because it's soft? Would AL be OK? If so, a
glass shop will have some pretty tiny flat head sheet metal screws used in
screen and metal windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
news:4b19c84c$0$27012 :

I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know
where to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

Might help to know how many you need? Those cardboard bins they even
have at the BORG have some pretty oddball stuff but can be a quarter
for a screw. No one cares when buying one onesie-twosies.

Assume you don't want brass because it's soft? Would AL be OK? If so,
a glass shop will have some pretty tiny flat head sheet metal screws
used in screen and metal windows.

Oh, another thought is a cabinet shop. Many hinges are fastened with very
short screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 18:42:47 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

Here's one place that has tiny pan head sheet metal screws in steel
down to #0.

http://www.fastener-express.com/inde...S&Category=227

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2009 7:02 PM Red Green spake thus:

Red Green wrote in
:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
news:4b19c84c$0$27012 :

[...]

Not this short. They're not going to have anything smaller than *maybe*
#4. (These screws are from an old wood camera, and I only need less than
a dozen.)

Decided I'm going to get the brass ones after all and just paint the
heads black (camera is black). Strength is no concern here. (The
originals were steel, probably plated but long since rusted.)

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 6:42*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

A #1 wood screw has a nominal diameter of about 0.069".......... a #2
is about 0.082"
does an increase in diameter of .013" (~ 4 sheets of paper thickness)
really make enough difference to matter?

I often (like nearly all the time) substitiue sheet metal screws for
wood screws and I pretty much only use SS as well and I use McMaster
as my supplier. Boxes of SS screws at McMaster have WAY lower price
per screw than small batches purchased elsewhere.

McMaster has #1 SMS in SS that might do the trick for you.

Flat heads? Phillips drive?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2009 7:15 PM DD_BobK spake thus:

McMaster has #1 SMS in SS that might do the trick for you.

Flat heads? Phillips drive?

Nope; round and oval heads, slotted. (For appearance's sake.)

But I'll check McMaster anyhow, thanks.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

The last time I needed some tiny stuff I found it at a hobby store.
Have you looked there?

Gordon Shumway

Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield
for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

Check with the model airplane suppliers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article m,
David Nebenzahl wrote:
I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

http://www.micro-mark.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx specializes in
wood fasteners.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2009 6:42 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

Update: I found the round-head screws (#1 - 1/4") in brass right here at
my local Orchard Supply (OSH). Cheap enough, too: only 59 cents for a
little plastic bag of 5. (It was in the "little cubbyholes of specialty
stuff you can't find anywhere else" section.)

I'm salvaging the oval-head screws by sanding the heads and painting
them black. I looked all over the Internets and didn't find *any* of
those suckers. Nothing in brass or any other material with oval heads in
that small size (#1).

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

Seeking teeny-tiny 13A plug Lobster UK diy 17 July 23rd 09 09:56 AM
Screw Extractor for tiny laptop screws? Ron Hardin Home Repair 50 October 14th 08 02:48 AM
Tiny, tiny metalwork - chip re-soldering Tom Gardner[_2_] Metalworking 20 June 24th 08 04:21 PM
TINY machine screws? T i m UK diy 2 December 23rd 06 10:07 PM
Tiny screws for personal stereos, portable radios etc. RonSonic Electronics Repair 0 July 13th 03 06:17 PM