Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Where to get teeny-tiny screws

On Dec 4, 6:42*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
I needs some little bitty wood screws: No. 1 by short (1/4", 3/8") in
*steel* (or stainless). The only ones I can find this small are brass
(available locally at a couple places down to No. 0!). Anyone know where
to find such things?

Already checked Small Parts, MicroMark, McMaster, etc., etc. Google
gives a ****ing mess: screw mfgrs. from Lahore, India, bogus "blogs"
with no information, clueless clockmaker sites with no information,
etc., etc.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet

A #1 wood screw has a nominal diameter of about 0.069".......... a #2
is about 0.082"
does an increase in diameter of .013" (~ 4 sheets of paper thickness)
really make enough difference to matter?

I often (like nearly all the time) substitiue sheet metal screws for
wood screws and I pretty much only use SS as well and I use McMaster
as my supplier. Boxes of SS screws at McMaster have WAY lower price
per screw than small batches purchased elsewhere.

McMaster has #1 SMS in SS that might do the trick for you.

Flat heads? Phillips drive?

cheers
Bob